Confused in Translation

Discussion in 'Foreign Languages' started by icegoat63, Nov 2, 2008.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

this thread is inspired by all the Halloween candy being mentioned lately. I've found that even though us English speaking members can understand each other enough to communicate regularly.... there is still a goofy barrier when it comes to our food and a few other things, but it seems mostly in our food names.

I'm far from an expert, but I am interested! So please do tell... if you know of an English to English translation (ie: Fag = Cigarette) I want to hear it! If you're not sure of a word... mention it and there are obviously enough of us here that chances are there will be a goofy title for it in our home!

Heres one I want cleared up to start with:

Ranch (House Dressing) = Salad Cream

is that correct?

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

biscuit = cookie
    crisps = potato chips
    sweets = candies

There's more but that's what I remember when I talk to an English and an American, I have to switch words (if I remember to do it).

3. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

French fries= chips

asdfasdfasdf

4. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

Salad cream doesn't taste of onions or garlic.
    It is completely smooth with no bits in it.
    It's a bit like mayonnaise but it's tangy and yellower.

Hope that helps. :-/

5. Buddhz

Buddhz Registered Member

Hopefully this is something I can actually help with! I've just come back from three weeks in America so I can make some comparisons!

Ranch is nothing like salad cream, not even slightly. Ranch is much nicer in my opinion but you wouldn't use them for the same things.

Salad cream is runnier and tangy, like tangy mayonnaise in flavour I suppose.

Vidic15 likes this.
  6. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Food...
    scone - biscuit
    biscuit - cookie
    starter - appetizer
    jam - jelly
    ice lolly - popsicle
    sweets - candy

Cars...
    bonnet - hood
    boot - trunk
    duel carridgeway - freeway

Thats all I can think of at the moment :D

7. icegoat63

Yeah this one freaks me out to. I hear Fish & Chips and I picture a hunk of Salmon next to some Pringles :hah:

Our ranch isnt necessarily littered with onions either (that I can think of). Making it at home it usually consists of Milk, Mayonnaise, and a few other spices. Also has a real creamy/runny texture.... kinda like Ketchup or Mustard

OH and here was another one:

Cell Phone = Handy

8. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

Cell phone - mobile. ;)

......tootleytumteetum..................

Jeanie likes this.
  9. Buddhz

Buddhz Registered Member

Handy? Where do they say that? I assume you are talking about a mobile phone?

10. icegoat63

I think it was BEE, Ysabel, or Chaos that was telling us about Cell Phone being called a Handy. I dont remember who but I do remember someone called it that.