Conflict Diamonds vs. Conflict Free Diamonds

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I watched Blood Diamond again tonight and this got me thinking about conflict diamonds and the diamond industry in general.

First of all, this thread is NOT for discussing the movie. If you want to discuss the movie, go here instead.

So, can any diamond really be considered conflict free? Personally I have a hard time coming to terms with this idea. If the demand for diamonds exists, conflict diamonds will still be mined. Does it matter whether or not they are able to be successfully smuggled? People die regardless simply because of people's hopes of smuggling them.

Are the conflict diamond smugglers going to stop trying simply because the industries have made it harder for them? Isn't the very definition of the word "smuggling" enough to convince us that in one way or another, all diamond sales contribute to the bloodshed? You could even argue that buying a used diamond from a pawn shop isn't hurting anybody. Really though? It still helps keep the supply low and the demand high.

After watching that movie again I found myself wanting to buy some authentic African bead bracelets or something through an organization like Invisible Children. Something that from what I understand actually helps further the cause of good.

2. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

Some don't think that people (in industrialized nations) have a moral duty to try and buy food and food products that are the most humane for animals, avoid leather/fur, etc.

Conflict Diamonds are a different story altogether. In this case, the scary truth is that human lives are being lost.

I'm fine with buying diamonds, they can be a great economic boost to struggling countries. Drastically lowering the demand might be too big of a problem for struggling operations in Africa that are legit.

That being said, there are ways - albeit difficult - to make sure that your jeweler of choice is NOT buying conflict diamonds. As consumers we in the more well-off areas of the world (that have more of a choice when it comes to this), should demand these sorts of steps.

Hybrix does raise a point, however...when you're buying a diamond, how can you be 100% sure that it doesn't come as the result of corruption, death, poverty, etc.?