Conference & Division Reform?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Inspired by the 'Yotes Bankruptcy thread, I started writing out this long opinion of mine and realized it had enough valid points it could become its own debate... and that means its own thread worthy. So here Goes;

I agree with the whole concept of Conference reform. I mean there needs to be some changes in that. D-Town needs to go to the East, simple as that. I wouldnt mind if Columbus got moved around either along with some other Central Division Clubs. I mean it seems like the line that splits the East and West is just screwed, its illogical and its outdated.

How 'bout do something like Baseball or even the NFL? Ya know.... National League / American League | NFC / AFC. I mean lets face it, East / West is nothing more than an outdated idea that doesnt work, take for instance when I'm watching the Western Conference First Round Playoffs and I have to tune in to the game on Eastern Standard time :eyebrow:.

So how 'bout we get this fixed, I'd fully be behind them bringing back the "Wales Conferences & Campbell Conference". Then just have a mix/match like what goes on in the other major leagues. Try to keep some of the major Rivalries together and all that goodness but lets face it there are just some clubs that dont have any major rivalries worth saving... or even better, Rivalries that can be made better by this (think Tampa Bay / Calgary).

Honestly the only reason its Eastern/Western is because of previous monetary and travel restrictions. Same reason we had White Jerseys at Home and Dark Jerseys away (easier to clean white jerseys while home than on the road). So now that Travel expenses are much cheaper since Airline Deregulations... NHL Clubs can obviously travel for much cheaper than they could back in the day. So I dont feel its all that necessary to cling to the East / West borders anymore.

So what do you guys think about that?

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it's important that teams are close to each other geographically in their own division. You play 6 games against those teams every season. If you've got 4 teams in your dvision then that's 24 games out of 82 that are divisional. Not to mention the fact you play the other teams in your conference 4 times each. That's almost all of the games right there.

The NFL just re-aligned their divisions and were able to keep the big rivalries but also kept everyone together geographically to cut down on travel. Not really for expenses but in hockey there are more games so it wears down on the players when they have to fly across the country. The Maple Leafs and the Oilers in the same division?? Yikes.

If you move the Red Wings into the East then you lose the Hawks/Wings and the Blues/Wings rivalries. When was the last time they did re-alignment? It wasn't all that long ago...why mess with it again? You'll notice in baseball they re-aligned not that long ago and AGAIN everyone was kept close. You have to keep the rivalries and the location.

Outside of the Canadian rivalries, Goat, which teams do you want moved anyways? If it were me it would stay mostly the same. I guess a great question is what happens if the Coyotes move to Canada? They go from West to East...so do you move someone from East to West or keep the new team in the West. If is, if it happens, of course. Geographically speaking there are no teams in the East who could even be half considered western clubs.

So I guess my point is that its important to keep the teams close to each other...not for expenses purposes but moreso for keeping down the wear and tear on the players.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
yeah yeah, I'm not talking about Making Oilers / Leafs Divisions. Primarily I'm referring to just dumping the title East/West. If and When the 'Yotes get moved, the West will some how have to pick up another previously Eastern team. To me the sheer concept of Western Conference hockey played not on a Western Time Slot is just idiotic to me when easily more than half of the other Western Conference is in fact playing on PST.

This is much easier to do in the East Coast due to the proximity of all the clubs. Maybe its just my OCD kicking in, but I cant stand the screwed up name as West Coast.

Again, pending the 'Yotes move... this is what I would do:

By doing this I wouldnt have any stigma about So-Called Western Conference teams playing on East Coast time. Instead they'd just be Campbell Conference Clubs ;)
------
oh and just for reference, this is what it looks like currently:

Last edited:

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
yeah yeah, I'm not talking about Making Oilers / Leafs Divisions. Primarily I'm referring to just dumping the title East/West. If and When the 'Yotes get moved, the West will some how have to pick up another previously Eastern team. To me the sheer concept of Western Conference hockey played not on a Western Time Slot is just idiotic to me when easily more than half of the other Western Conference is in fact playing on PST.

This is much easier to do in the East Coast due to the proximity of all the clubs. Maybe its just my OCD kicking in, but I cant stand the screwed up name as West Coast.

Again, pending the 'Yotes move... this is what I would do:

So you dont want it to be called West and East...I can understand that I suppose. Something obviously needs to happen if the Coyotes move to Canada...I doubt it'll happen right away but they should move someone, somewhere. I wouldnt completely overhaul it though. If you remember the Toronto Maple Leafs used to be in the same division as the Blues, Wings and Hawks and they singlely moved to the East.

Looking at your divisions I dont see much I hate but...

Splitting up the Rangers and Islanders and Blues and Red Wings isn't going to fly very high. I think your idea is fine and you're right something has to be done...but you have to be careful to keep the rivalries in tact and not mess with any of that.

The more I think about the more I agree to rid ourselves of the East/West stuff and make it something else. The NFL has AFC/NFC, MLB has NL and AL...neither of those designate location and they all work.

I dunno if the NHL is going to do that though...they seem pretty happy where things are currently and Bettman is hell bent on keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix anyways.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Ah, now you're seeing where I'm coming from exactly ;)

Heres the other thing though; its almost inevitable that if a team gets tossed to the East its going to be a current Central Division Club. Chances are either Detroit (for their Seniority) or Columbus (for their actual geographical locality). I have a feeling more people would rather see the Wings/Leafs Fued fired back up than to preserve the Blues/Wings. Not that I'm trying to bash the Blues, I mean I already felt bad stretching them all the way to play against Edmonton as a divisional.

meh, its a tough situation really. Because another one I split up in my mix is the Ottawa/Toronto rivalry. Although I've heard that one isnt all that in reality.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I would get rid of the divisions altogether and just have two conferences: Wales and Campbell.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ah, now you're seeing where I'm coming from exactly ;)

Heres the other thing though; its almost inevitable that if a team gets tossed to the East its going to be a current Central Division Club. Chances are either Detroit (for their Seniority) or Columbus (for their actual geographical locality). I have a feeling more people would rather see the Wings/Leafs Fued fired back up than to preserve the Blues/Wings. Not that I'm trying to bash the Blues, I mean I already felt bad stretching them all the way to play against Edmonton as a divisional.

meh, its a tough situation really. Because another one I split up in my mix is the Ottawa/Toronto rivalry. Although I've heard that one isnt all that in reality.
I dont feel it as a bash on the Blues but keep in mind there is the original 6 and then the Blues...they are the "7th" IMO. Only reason I say that is because they were a part of the first expansion and then were in the Finals their first three years of existance. Not to mention they've made the playoffs 35 times in 41 seasons....and 25 straight years. But I digress, lol.

This whole thing might be a moot point if the Yotes stay in Phoenix. THe thing about MLB is that the conferences so to speak arent geographic but the 3 divisions are and each league as a east team, central team and west team. I guess the NFL is similar...I think that works the best but it might mess up a lot of rivalries. I dont see the NHL doing it.