Concealed Carry on campus

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
For it or against?
I'm all for it. I do believe students have th right to return fire if a dude is shooting at them.

What would you carry if you had to deffend yourself?
I have 3 main choices. Paayin on theopia has convinced me that the five-seveN is a really good gun. That or a .223 pistol, or a .32ACP type weapon (walther pp or PPK?)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Guns shouldn't be allowed in schools, that is simply stupid in my opinion. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
well, look what happened at virginia tech. people have a right to defend themselves, at least those who qualify with strict tests, accuracy, safety, sanity, and of course weapons training. And of course the decision to comply with this is totally in the school's control.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why go through all of that just to carry a gun in schools. It would take to much time to test everyone. Carrying a gun at school is asking for trouble. So many bad things would happen.

Yes the Virginia Tech was a horrible thing, but it doesn't happen all the time, you'll see it a few times a year and that's about it.

No need to carry guns at school.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
campus security isnt permitted to carry a fire arm (i think?). Don't they need principle permission t open the gun safe?

No, because what may happen when someone gets drunk and a dispute arises at a party? Oh, maybe they fight or are fearing a physical confrontation and so they pull their firearm? Recipe for disaster. And thats just one example of a "how-shit-could-go-wrong" scenario. If anything they could be allowed to wear a bullet-proof vest if they are so fearing of another VT reenactment. I think schools should just be up to par on security/campus police and maybe metal detectors, random shakedowns or other means of security.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Guns shouldn't be allowed in schools, that is simply stupid in my opinion. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

So is this...

Do you think criminals are scared by this sign? Or do you think law abiding people are compelled to comply? I believe if you meet your states requirements for concealed carry (which I have in 3 states), then a college campus should be no different then a hospital, restaurant, grocery store, or a church. The same laws would be in effect as they are everywhere else. This doesn't mean 15 year olds can bring guns to school, it means faculty or college students over the age of 21 who have met the requirements for their state to obtain a permit can carry everywhere. These aren't the people we need to be concerned about, its the criminals who ignore the above signs.

It's really not that hard :rolleyes:

Bananas

Endangered Species
Totally against it.

[SARCASM]Stop kids killing kids with guns, give them more guns! it defies logic![/SARCASM]

It is sad enough that campus killings happen, by allowing guns into campus you would only have more killings, sure each incident may have a lower death count but the number of incidents would increase. Most massacres are orchestrated, they take time and planning, dont make it easy for them by making the tools needed readily available

Instead of having 1 or 2 isolated incidents with double figure bodycounts, you would have an epidemic of school yard gunfights. A kid gets bullied *bang* teacher gives a poor-mark *bang* schol yard love triangle *bang*. Let students be students, let them get drunk and chase girls, play football and burn-out cars. They do not need guns.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
No, because what may happen when someone gets drunk and a dispute arises at a party? Oh, maybe they fight or are fearing a physical confrontation and so they pull their firearm? Recipe for disaster. And thats just one example of a "how-shit-could-go-wrong" scenario. If anything they could be allowed to wear a bullet-proof vest if they are so fearing of another VT reenactment. I think schools should just be up to par on security/campus police and maybe metal detectors, random shakedowns or other means of security.
And what happens if a gun wielding mad man decides he had a bad day and wants to shoot the place up? Should I be rendered defenseless because some bureaucrat wants to stick his head in the sand and pretend it won't happen? There are so many what ifs? CCL holders are not the type to pick fights or get into fights, if anything they avoid them or walk away. You aren't from the concealed carry community so you don't understand our mindset. Concealed carry holders are some of the most law abiding upstanding citizens in the country. We are the LAST people to pick a fight. If anything we want to AVOID them.

All this "Well they might get heated and pull their gun" is complete and utter bullshit. I get pissed all the time while I am carrying and the thought has NEVER crossed my mind to go all mad max on a mall somewhere because I am pissed. NEVER. Statistics prove this. The number of revoked CCL's because of a heated debate gone wrong are in the single digits.
------
Who is more likely to shoot up a school:

1. A law abiding citizen who has taken all the required steps including fingerprinting, back round checks, classes, ballistic checks, tons of paper work, and paying the fee's. Then waiting 30-90 days before he gets his license to carry.

2. A drug dealer with a criminal wrap sheet as long as my arm who illegally bought a gun on the street and has no regard for the legal process to carry a gun legally.

It's really a no brainer....

Last edited: