TV Conan O'Brien's New Show To Be On TBS

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Babe_Ruth, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

This is a good move for Conan. Financially, he's set for life from NBC and for the moment, cable TV has a brighter future. All of the broadcast networks are struggling and the audience for late-night TV is shrinking. It's highly doubtful that anyone will deliver the same kind of ratings that Leno & Letterman did at their peak when they retire. If Conan were on Fox, the affiliate stations would be pissed because they run their own local & syndicated programming after 10 pm, with the revenue going all to them. That means Conan would have had to deliver significant ratings (and as a result, ad dollars) right out of the gate in order to make it worthwhile for the network and the stations. Much like at NBC, he wouldn't be given a chance to build an audience over the long-haul. No show will anymore. So why bother...he's better off being a big fish in a small pond, especially since he can likely deliver good cable ratings immediately and will probably have more creative freedom. TBS is kind of a surprise...I would've thought FX, TNT, or USA would have been a better fit. But TBS has clearances in most of the country

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I wonder if this means George Lopez is going to get the "Conan Treatment" and have his show bumped to a later time. :lol:

Although I don't even know when Lopez's show is on. I just know I always see his commercials during Seinfeld reruns that I watch on TBS.

4. Th3Pr3Tz3l

Th3Pr3Tz3l Registered Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I won't get my Conan :(

Well....I don't really know of TBS. Will they let him be more Conan-ey? :D

Us Canadians better to be able to get our Conan or a war's on the horizon...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  5. Unity

Unity Chett Chetterfield Staff Member

I'm very excited for this...I don't think broadcast has as much sway as before; look at shows like The Colbert Report on Comedy Central or The Shield on FX. Basic Cable can take on standard channels any day, and I think Conan will enjoy more freedom on a station like TBS.

6. Sigurd

Sigurd Internet Dig Dug

Yeah this is a great move for Conan to move to TBS. I hope that he does great when he returns to air in November.

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not a fan of Conan, or really any late night TV hosts to be honest. They just arent that funny to me. I had to laugh when he got the boot outta the Tonight show and I think it'll be kinda comical to see him struggle on TBS also.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

9. Sigurd

Sigurd Internet Dig Dug

That's great news that Lopez doesn't mind giving up his slot for Conan. It basically means that there won't be any issues coming up between them. I find it equally great that Conan wanted to make sure that Lopez was fine with moving to a later time slot. All and All I do think that this could be a rather great move by TBS with the addition of Conan and still keeping Lopez.

10. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

Boooooo. Haha.

Conan is funny, I loved his old show on NBC - never watched him when he took over for Leno. I think he'll do fine on TBS.