• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Computers, where do you stand?

How knowledgeable are you about computers?

• Total voters

dDave

V.I.P.
Alright this thread is asking how knowledgeable you would consider yourself to be as far as computers go.

You decide what you are from these, (share what your definition of the choice that you picked is)

What's a computer?
Beginner
Average user
Advanced User
Expert User

Obviously these options are not the same so please try to choose the one that best suits you.

I have been around computers a lot my whole life, I certainly know quite a bit about them, fixing problems, building them, Windows OS's (95-Vista), compatibility, etc. I wouldn't call myself an expert but I am definitely a very advanced user with tons of experience on various things.

Where do you stand in computer knowledge?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'd say I'm an advanced user. There are so many things you can do with servers and advanced tweaks in general that I don't bother with. I don't think anybody should pick expert unless they have an IT degree or Microsoft A++ certification, etc.

Atreyu

#2 New Zealander
It might just be me, but I usually sit at computers. /lame joke

I imagine I would be half way between Average and Advanced. I know a bit about computers but not a whole lot more then the average person

EDIT: Jealous, Ice?

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
i stand in front of computers... actually I usually sit in front of them...

I consider myself advanced. I can take apart, add, and tinker with the hardware without to much trouble at all. While in the computer Ive never had any trouble learning new things, so if I've had a problem I've watched closely as the IT guys take care of it and have been able to fix it myself there after.
------
damn you Atre... beat me to it by 1 minute.

Last edited:

R1pperZ

Registered Member
I'd put myself just past the average user. I know hardware components to an extent, and I know how to work my way around different software. Still I wouldn't put my life on the ability to point out parts and put together a PC not to mention get the various software and drivers to work straight.

But that is something I am going to attempt here soon when I put together my first PC. With over $1,200 on the line I am going to take my time and scour the web for as many pointers as I can get.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I'd go for advanced, I've been using them since the early 80's.

I know a lot about the front end of computers, when it comes to applications using interface metaphores Im a whizz, ask me to code and I'm lost, I can read and understand most of it but not type any of it.

As for the technical stuff, I build my own computers so I know what components goes where and with what, I understand some simple electronics and the terms and measurements but how a component actually works is nanoscience and best left to the experts.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Expert. I can build, program, tweak, and modify one any way I would ever need to.

Sim

Registered Member
I'd say advanced user. I've been using them for 16 years, I know how to assemble hardware, I know how to overclock a system and back in the days of MS DOS, I used to program a little in basic.

But I'm not an expert. For example, I don't know all the details of hardware and software, I've only few experience with systems like Linux and I'm not a programmer.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Between beginner and average I guess. I don't know all the ins and outs and the technical side of things - i.e. building a computer from scratch, but I know how to turn one on.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Beginner i guess,never really got into computers much but i can just about work this one now!.As long nothing goes wrong ill be fine.