Computer won't run for anything.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Alright guys, everyone knows that I'm a huge computer guy and know what I'm doing when I go to fix a computer.

But i have this problem that I just cannot figure out.

I have this old Gateway computer from 2002 with XP home edition.

originally when it stopped working it would keep showing the loading windows XP screen and then the computer would automatically restart and it would do this over and over again.

but just yesterday the computer stopped working entirely and I cannot even get a picture on the screen anymore, and yes I have checked all of my connections, and re inserted the video card.

I tried to reinstall windows on it but it won't let me, the directiosn on the CD to reinstall windows for this computer says put disc in, restart computer, reinstall windows. but I can't get the computer to go for reinstalling windows. and the CD isn't scratched.

is there a way to fix this thing or is it pretty much trash and I should take out the few valuable pieces and trash it?

No worries if I can't get it fixed though since I do have 2 other computers that are both much newer and better. I was just wondering if I could get my older one to run so I could play some games over the network.

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Since you have two others I'd say cut your losses with it. If you really, really want to try to get it to to work then flash the BIOS and throw in a different hard drive.

Another option is to throw the hard drive in another computer and reformat it -- completely -- twice. It will clear any bad data and the only problem left would be bad sectors. If the new computer doesn't boot even with the hard drive set as a slave, then you know you've just got a dead hard drive on your hands.

You knew most of that though, I have a feeling.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
yeah I knew most of that all ready.

but I can't check that since I don't have another computer that can run an IDE Hard Drive.

I took the hard drive out though and tried it with my secondary hard drive set as the main drive and it still wouldn't work.

I know that it's not the CD drive though since it works well with my other 2 computers.

it's possible that it's the motherboard, which is a real pain. I don't even think that the computer is worth pouring any money into at all, i already bought the thing a new video card (256mb Nvidia) and a new hard drive within the past year.

if it's the motherboard then it's a piece of junk because I don't even think that they make the right board anymore.

Doc

V.I.P.
You can just throw any MOBO in there if that is the case.

Is the video card a PCI or AGP?

Basically, can you put that card in the slot adjacent to the slot that has your main video card on one of the other two machines?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
the video card won't work with my newest computer because it has PCI-E, but it will work with my other one just fine, I think that it's AGP, I never bothered to check but 6 years old, it probably is.

it's too bad that none of my motherboards support 2 video cards, actually my older one does but stupid MSI put the slots too close together and they won't fit on the same board together so I would just be upgrading my computers video memory from 128mb to 256mb making the switch from ATI to Nvidia.

I'm sure that I could find a use for that extra card that I would have there though.

Doc

V.I.P.
Well, I guess that gets rid of my dual monitor idea. Let me know what happens with the system.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
yeah no dual monitors for me, I don't really need 2 monitors for what i do though, mostly games, generalforum, email, music, writing papers, etc.

yeah I'll be sure to let you know what happens with the system though, who knows? maybe I'll fidn some way to get that old thing fixed.

but if I wanted dual monitors my newest computers video card can support 2 monitors at once, too bad I only have one great monitor.

Last edited:

Doc

V.I.P.
You should really try it out. I didn't think I needed it, but I randomly went out and bought a second card just for the hell of it.

I seriously haven't regretted it since. I use one for browsing and the other for IMs, music, and general fuckoffery.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I don't need another video card to do it, but i would need another monitor, I have a 19" widescreen HD acer monitor connected to an ATI 800XT pro HD video car 256mb and the card can have one more monitor connected to it.

My video card supports 2 monitors but I only have 1 LCD monitor and I don't want to haul out one of my old CRT monitors and make it work with my good monitor.

I just won't do it, if I get another LCD monitor I'll definitely go for it but I don't have one, my desk is barely big enough to fit an LCD monitor on I don't know how I would ever fit a CRT monitor on that thing.

Doc

V.I.P.
Did you know that you can put the monitors on top of each other and use them that way? I forget exactly how, but I know that it is possible.