• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Computer...virus?

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Went away from my computer to help out outside... When I came back, the plug and play window in the system tray was all popped up saying "SoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSo ATA Device driver successfully installed!"

Nobody was touching my computer, and I can't find anything on the filename, or anything that suggests it's possible for someone to remotely attack my computer with an ATA device (which appears to be a PC <--> Telephone adapter for VoIP, btw), but this still reeks of malware. Currently scanning (nothing found) and going to dial back my computer a couple days using system restore. No idea what this can do, since I don't actually have either VoIP or an ATA device, but still.

Any other ideas or suggestions on what this is or how to deal with it?

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
You definitely have an ATA device.

How old is your computer? What make?

an ATA device can either be a hard drive or an Optical drive. More commonly they are called SATA.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
You definitely have an ATA device.

How old is your computer? What make?

an ATA device can either be a hard drive or an Optical drive. More commonly they are called SATA.
I wasn't sure; I saw that "ATA device" could mean SATA harddrive as well, but a search suggested VoIP adapter, which seemed a likely candidate for malware. If it's my harddrive, what's with the bizarre name "SoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSo"?

My computer is between 1 and 2 years old, custom built. Core i7 920, Windows Vista Home Premium.

EDIT - Also, it's been wiped in the meanwhile, so the data on my computer is less than a year old.

Last edited:

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Run regedit.exe as Administrator and look for SoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSoSo