Computer problem!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Swiftstrike, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

The power went out at my house last night and my computer will not turn on at all. It was plugged into a surge protector, I unplugged all the chords and reattached them and it will still not turn on.

All that happens is the power button flashes yellow when it's plugged in.

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

ok this is a pretty simple fix, here are all of the possibilities that I can see.

1. bad power supply
    2. surge protector is on safety
    3. computer is in standby (probably not though)
    4. possibly your power supply just isn't hooked up right

I think that i have covered all of the most logical problems.

Why did you make a new thread about it?

3. Hanzo_Hattori

Hanzo_Hattori For the Horde!

He has been trying for hours to get a reply

4. Swiftstrike

Yeah no one was replying at all. And I will be unable to check after I leave the office. I will got through the list but It cant be the power supply eveyrthing is working but my computer.

5. dDave

I would not just say that it isn't the power supply so quickly, power supplies go bad all the time and I would definitely say that it is the most likely problem. I have seen a couple of power supplies go bad. If I were you I would try buying a new power supply and if that doesn't fix the problem then take it back to the store. How old is your power supply and what company is it?

6. Swiftstrike

Well I am on my mom's shitty laptop atm...

Anyways actually its a year and half old the warranty ran out after a year. Dell will not help me they said it was the power supply and the motherboard probably but they wouldnt be specific since I do not have a warranty.

I will be computerless for about 2 days for sure. I am going to have my buddy look at it on friday and then we will probably go out and buy a new one.

Ugh I didnt need this right now...Im already swimming in debt until I get my first few paychecks...

Thanks for the help anyways dave.

O yeah when you were talking about the power supply I thought you were meaning the surge protector. And funny the surge protector says grounded and protected still even though it didnt protect my computer...

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, when you push the power button do any lights turn on?

Also, some power supplies have a switch on them. Make sure it didn't get switched off on the back of your computer by accident. If it is off there it won't be able to be turned on from the front, if that makes sense.

It could be as easy as a power supply gone bad, or as annoying as a motherboard gone bad... which is extremely annoying. It's hard to troubleshoot over the internet though. Check the power supply switch. Make sure it's on.

8. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

The same thing happened to a Pionex computer my former neighbor gave me as the power went out for about 5 to 10 seconds and my HP fired right up but the Pionex sat there like a dead duck and it was the power supply but I haven't got the knowledge or $$$ to fix it right now.

9. Swiftstrike

I got a new power supply everything works fine now.

10. dDave

I told you that it was the power supply, those things do go bad all the time, make sure that you have a strong surge protector so the next time this happens it doesn't ruin anything.

You're lucky that it was only the power supply.