Computer Problem v2

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Sidenote: I also made this thread in the Hardware section of technology but I figure more people read sub-talk.

The power went out at my house last night and my computer will not turn on at all. It was plugged into a surge protector, I unplugged all the chords and reattached them and it will still not turn on.

All that happens is the power button flashes yellow when it's plugged in.
------
Any help???

Last edited:
Your power supply unit is probably toast and may have broken your motherboard. A way to find is to put another PSU in it and see if it works. If it doesn't, then it's probably your MB.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Well after hearing that I definitely know what's wrong.

Hit the reset button on your surge protector this has happened to me a couple of times and if that's not it then it's either your motherboard or power supply, that's the bottom line, there really are no other solutions.

First though I would try hitting the reset button on your surge protector, after the power goes out nothing plugged into the surge protector will work unless you hit the reset button, it's usually the only button on your surge protector besides on and off.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Well after hearing that I definitely know what's wrong.

Hit the reset button on your surge protector this has happened to me a couple of times and if that's not it then it's either your motherboard or power supply, that's the bottom line, there really are no other solutions.

First though I would try hitting the reset button on your surge protector, after the power goes out nothing plugged into the surge protector will work unless you hit the reset button, it's usually the only button on your surge protector besides on and off.
Yeah i read your post in Basic computer and yeah dell tech told me the same thing. Our surge protector doesnt have a reset button.

Damnit I didnt need this thanks for your help guys.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
The only thing that I have left for you is to get a new surge protector if you are really unwilling to change your motherboard and power supply, it's certainly cheaper if it fixes the problem.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
The only thing that I have left for you is to get a new surge protector if you are really unwilling to change your motherboard and power supply, it's certainly cheaper if it fixes the problem.
Well I tried different surge protecters none active my computer. I am going to get a power supply friday.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
make sure not to get one that won't work with your computer, bring you old one into the store and show it to somebody so that they can hook you up with the right power supply.

Last edited: