• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Computer freezes up while on the internet

Impaired

Registered Member
Are there some sites that this happens to more than others?

Can you access fast loading sites like Google without the problem happening?

PS - It isn't your system, or your RAM, it might possibly be Windows ME. Your tech specs are more than sufficient to run a web browser on the Internet, despite what others tell you.

I still have a Dell 733 Mhz system that runs just fine and surfs the internet well with 256MB of RAM. You don't need much to surf the web. Even using IE (although it is far more demanding of resources than Firefox.)

Last edited:

ATARIGUY

Beermister
Are there some sites that this happens to more than others?
No it just freezes up randomly and it also freezes up while I am going thru my email in Outlook Express and I did run some scans and it is did help and it doesn't freeze up as much but it still freezes up at times though.

I do know that with Windows 95, 98 and ME the computer relies on resource percentage and the lower that number goes the slower the computer becomes and mine starts out at 89% free with just AVG running.

If I try using YAHOO! messenger or MSN messenger or AIM they kill my computer as the percentage drops almost 20% then sometimes I get the blue screen of death (minor crash) but I just restart my bucket of bolts and all is good.

dDave

V.I.P.
I used to get the blue screen of death, it was caused by a bad motherboard you may want to try replacing it if you don't want to get a new computer.

It could also be some bad coding in wondows you could try reinstalling windows if you don't want to go and get a whole new computer or a motherboard.

Ymir-GF

Registered Member
No it just freezes up randomly and it also freezes up while I am going thru my email in Outlook Express and I did run some scans and it is did help and it doesn't freeze up as much but it still freezes up at times though.

I do know that with Windows 95, 98 and ME the computer relies on resource percentage and the lower that number goes the slower the computer becomes and mine starts out at 89% free with just AVG running.

If I try using YAHOO! messenger or MSN messenger or AIM they kill my computer as the percentage drops almost 20% then sometimes I get the blue screen of death (minor crash) but I just restart my bucket of bolts and all is good.

Egads your systems is pretty sad, to say the least, but you do have a good outlook on it, at least. My guess is your ram. To get 319MB of ram you obviously have different combinations of ram (ie. a 256MB and a 64MB or other permutations) Are ALL the ram chips rated at the exact same speed? If they are not this can and WILL cause unexpected problems.

You may not notice problems when you are not on the net, but opening net related programs gobbles memory for the program and for opening various windows services. Unless you have a very large permanent swap file and a VERY fast hard disk, your system may well choke as it simply runs out of resources. Opening multiple pages in your browser may also cause a performance crunch. So the freezies may simply be caused by ram becoming full, auto dumping to the swap file and going into lalal-land because your drive is not able to handle sustained data transfer, besides which the system was already running out of resources. Aside from THIS, ME was hardly stellar at how it handled both resource management and memory "leaks".

First step. Ensure that all the ram in the machine is exactly the same nanosecond rating. If they are different, that IS your problem. Next on the list would be Windows ME's horrid resource handling capacity, as well as its inherent inability to reallocate ram from spawned applications. (This is like how your hard disk becomes fragmented.) Third on my list, well, second actually, even after bashing ME, lol, would be to replace the NIC. It could just be flakey.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
wow I never thought of that and my computer also had that problem. Even if you do have a 256mb and a 64 mb stick of ram one of them is ever so slightly bad because 319 is a slightly off number by just one mb. seriously though man, you really do need to look into getting a new computer. computers much much better than the one that you are using cost less than $500. Your computer is at least 8 years old which is a major problem running much of todays software.

my final suggestion is to buy a new computer. That is all I have to say so I see no reason to keep posting in this thread.

fleinn

Egads your systems is pretty sad, to say the least, but you do have a good outlook on it, at least. My guess is your ram. To get 319MB of ram you obviously have different combinations of ram (ie. a 256MB and a 64MB or other permutations) Are ALL the ram chips rated at the exact same speed? If they are not this can and WILL cause unexpected problems.
Mhm. Mostly OS addressing problems, because of unexpected lenghts and ranges of memory (microsoft rules).. And it could turn up after, well, installing some update for a process that's running in the background all the time? I've seen something like that happen before. A new driver for example. Direct X version.

..Anyway - could check if it's that by pulling out the last 64Mb chip. Sounds like really bad luck if it worked fine before, though..
------
my final suggestion is to buy a new computer.
Bah! You don't understand. :p

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I understand that your computer is a really old pile of crap that barely has the ability to run Windows XP.

dDave

V.I.P.
yeah Steve is right your computer is barely able to run XP if it can at all the processor doesn't look like it can I remember it requiring at lease a 32-bit processor, that 800mhz doesn't look too inviting, it's also possible that with the way that the internet works nowadays that your video card is being stressed too much to display all of that stuff.

I don't care what anybody else says I still say that you need a new computer it won't throw this garbage at you because it's old and doesn't want to obey.

ATARIGUY

Beermister
I understand that your computer is a really old pile of crap that barely has the ability to run Windows XP
Ummmm.... I am not running Windows XP

And ever since I downloaded and installed the "clear cache" button on my browser it has only froze up on me once.

even if you do have a 256mb and a 64 mb stick of ram one of them is ever so slightly bad because 319 is a slightly off number by just one mb.
Well my niece in law used to work for a computer repair/upgrade company and they added 256mb of RAM for me for $20 and they took the original RAM board out and replaced it with the 256 MB board (this was in 2001) but I haven't had the freezing up problem till recently.

Buying a new computer is not gonna happen right now as I work at a dollar store and I am VERY part time, actually more like quarter time.

Just to get a jump on your next question there is no other jobs around and I also have personal reasons why I am staying at my current job.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Ummmm.... I am not running Windows XP
I know. You couldn't if you wanted to.

I understand personal reasons for staying at a job. I only stay at mine because it pays well and my daughter deserves the money.