• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

computer building tips

which proccessor is the best in terms of quality and speed (what you have used)?

• intel i5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • intel i6

• AMD dual core 240e

• AMD quad core 645

• AMD 6 core 1100T

• intel core 2

• intel xeon E3-1230

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

toocool

Registered Member
have any tips on how to build a computer? post away!!!!!!

my tip: NEVER build a computer on carpet. electrostaticdischarge (ESD; aka: static electricity and static shock) will easily fry parts such as (not limited to) motherboard, RAM, HDD (and probably SSD. not certain, never worked with them), etc. this can even happen if your wearing an anti-static wrist strap.

Adohi

I would support Intel i3 because I have observed it as the stable one in most of the cases. When compared to other Intel processors i7 have been hanging in most of the cases. Some time it even burns out when usage is excessive.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
When compared to other Intel processors i7 have been hanging in most of the cases. Some time it even burns out when usage is excessive.
I run an i7 and have for about seven or eight months now. I use it to game, do some minor graphics stuff, and a lot of downloading. I'm hardly using any case fans with it and the stock cooling keeps it around 37c normally and it tops off at 50c when its working. If I turn my huge (and extremely loud) case fan on that second number drops to around 45c. It has never hung or frozen. I can be running bittorrent at full steam and never use more than 3% of my processing power. Right now, running bittorrent, typing this, and running Trillian is only using 1-2% processing power.

Go with the i7 and a 64 bit version of Windows 7 with no less than 4gb of RAM. It's a beast setup.

toocool

Registered Member
I would support Intel i3 because I have observed it as the stable one in most of the cases. When compared to other Intel processors i7 have been hanging in most of the cases. Some time it even burns out when usage is excessive.
that depends on a number of factors.
how hot is the climate?
on hot days, do you use air conditioner?
do you run the computer for long periods without external cooling systems (e.g. air conditioner you use for cooling the room)?
is there adequate ventilation?
does the sun shine on it?
how big is the case (small cases have less air volume, therefore, the air (and parts) heat up faster [such as laptop])?

i was bombarded with those factors faster than i could type. i forgot several of the ones i was going to add to the list. there are countless factors you have to control when it comes to comparing processors.

that is, you can't have a 7" laptop with black paint coat running an intel i7 processor at max in a hot room with the sun shining on it and a computer tower (case dimensions: 60cmx50cmx25cm) running intel i3 at 0-2% in a 15 degree C air conditioned room with no sun, metalic silver paint coat

which will heat up faster? (that's really more of a worst case senario comparison)

edited:

of course!! two more factors

what type of cooling system (and what quality?) do you use (i.e. water cooling; 1x 124mm fan; 3x 240mm fans; etc)?
were any other parts overloading the powersupply?

Edited:

i was actually being bombarded with factors faster than i could actually think.
------
click on 'chat' at the top of the screen for a live conversation with and other users (if they are online). i'm in chat right now.

DO NOT USE PM.

Last edited:

Xeilo

V.I.P.
I run an i7 and have for about seven or eight months now. I use it to game, do some minor graphics stuff, and a lot of downloading. I'm hardly using any case fans with it and the stock cooling keeps it around 37c normally and it tops off at 50c when its working. If I turn my huge (and extremely loud) case fan on that second number drops to around 45c. It has never hung or frozen. I can be running bittorrent at full steam and never use more than 3% of my processing power. Right now, running bittorrent, typing this, and running Trillian is only using 1-2% processing power.

Go with the i7 and a 64 bit version of Windows 7 with no less than 4gb of RAM. It's a beast setup.
I am using the same and I have to agree, have not had any problems with it yet.

dDave

V.I.P.
My laptop has an i7 and it's a fairly slow one compared to the newer ones (though it's still LGA 1366) though my laptop is still incredibly fast. I've also used i7 extreme just a few times, there is really no way to describe how fast it really is because I wasn't even coming close to using any significant amount of it's processing power.

So to put it easily the i7 is the best processor on that list.

A quick suggestion of mine with building computers is to make sure that your case has sufficient cooling. So many people I know just ignore the case as being important and therefore they really don't care to get one that has a nice design for cooling. I actually wanted to keep my case extra cool so I modded it and added an additional mid fan in the case as well as another one going in the side. The air coming out the back is cold.

All processors are different which means that there is pretty much an endless list of possible configurations that you can go with.

I wouldn't suggest buying anything without doing an extensive amount of research first to make sure that all of your hardware is compatible as well as reliable.

I built my computer 5 years ago and it's still works well.

*Here's the original configuration

Windows XP Professional 32
Cooler Master Elite Case
Cooler Master 500W Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (1.8 GHz)
2GB PC 5300 DDR2 RAM (PNY)
MSI P4m900m2 motherboard
ATI Radeon x800 XT Pro (256mb)
Pioneer DVD Burner
Maxtor 320GB 7200 RPM HDD
Acer 19" (1440x900 @ 60Hz)
IBM keyboard (USB) and Dynex gaming mouse
Boston Acoustics 2.1 speakers

Here's how it is currently configured...

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Cooler Master Elite Case
Cooler Master 500W Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo t6400 (2.13GHz)
2GB PC 5300 DDR2 RAM (PNY)
MSI P4m900m2 motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512mb (PNY)
Pioneer DVD Burner
Maxtor 320GB 7200 RPM HDD
Western Digital 500GB 5400 RPM HDD
Dell 23" (1920x1080 @ 60Hz)
Logitech Wireless Mouse and Keyboard (darkfield)
Logitech 5.1 surround

The motherboard, RAM, original hard drive, Power supply, case, and DVD Drive all work exactly as they did the day I got the parts.

I also upgraded the processor though the other one was still working just fine.

I've actually been looking into upgrading my RAM because the computer has been just slightly slower lately an 2GB really isn't a lot.

toocool

Registered Member
adohi, you're going to hate me for this, but another factor for that list:

what is the width of the data bus for the cpu? 32bit or 64bit? (NOT the os, the actual cpu)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hilander Technology 4
Major Computers 10
Inspi Computers 2
Merc Computers 8
S Technology 5