Complicated work out equipment vs a good ole pushup

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Ziggy, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Sup?

I was lifting with a friend of mine at his house and he had just bought a new twelve hundred dollar work out machine, it was supposed to do upper body strengthening and ab workouts. I said to him "Why don't you just do pushups?"

Pushups do your arms, your chest and your abs. It's one of the best workouts and adding a simpel clap to it can make it so much better.

Does anyone here find that simple workout methods like pushups and situps are much better then complicated work out machines?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree. Machines have their place but nothing beats good old pushups, pullups, free weights, and running.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Sup?

ah forgot pullups, best upper body workout.

4. patkick

patkick #21

LOL, tell your friend to buy a barbell, a bench and some weights with it if he really wants to work out his upperbody. Machines don't exert your stabilizer muscles thus the gains on a machine are minimal. Lifting with free weights emulates somewhat normal movements and are more beneficial for everyday things. Machines on the other hand do not.

5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

pushups and pullups are certainly the best but workout machines have their place for working out the muscles that don't get a ton of work in while doing pushups situps or pullups

6. FBrown89

FBrown89 Registered Member

Machines are for pansies. Seriously. Learn to work hard and sweat and quit relying on ab lounges, bowflexes, etc. I mean, I've used them before, but don't expect your going to get everything you need from a machine.

7. Corona

Corona Registered Member

Machines have their place. They are good for isolation exercises.

8. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

I think the more people put into targeting a specific part of the body, the more they lose. I mean, you can only physically improve yourself so much at a time...so yeah, I like the old fashioned stuff.

Besides, most of the machines are gimmicks...

9. green8659

green8659 Registered Member

I agree totally. I do use machines for a few targeted exercises for the back because I have bad form on free weights for those exercises but all in all free weights to a lot better job and you can usually get a decent bar and weights and some free weights for about 300 bucks for a big set that will last you a long time.

Machines usually never give people the results they were expecting because like patkick said the don't use stabalizers and they are part of the package that people want to see to give them a well rounded look.

10. padd

padd Registered Member

Well actually pushups cannot do something a machine can. Bulk you up. You can do 500 pushups a day, but you'll never get pumped. Sure, you'll get toned, hands down you'll get very toned.. although Machines and Heavy Weights is what pump you up. Pumping iron. Personally I've never gotten pumped, I was always slim but toned.. but very recently I've started heavy workouts.. we'll see what happens.. although.. it hurts lmao..