• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Comparitively speaking

N

Nestor

I've been making music videos for about a decade, give or take a couple years. Waaaaay back when the only way you could get anime footage was to stream VHS footage from a VCR and capture it with a TV card, render the footage with DivX 3.11 (alpha) and hope to got you didn't get distortion, tearing, and any interference from random mystery particles or what-have-you, then editing your footage into a program as uncooperative as a two year old getting a shot from a foot-long needle, there was a certain dignity one had when the AMV was finally out there. You literally put weeks or months into your work, and people were literally in awe that you had the sheer grit to stick with it.

Nowadays, anyone can download raws, rip music, and slap together something in 20 minutes.

I'm not degrading or demeaning the newer, faster processes, even I am appreciative of the tremendous hardware and software upgrades, I love the freedom to download anime literally a few hours after it aired in japan. My one hundred and eighteen gig music library is one thing i guard religiously.

The thing of it is, the AMV market is getting flooded with "spam videos" where it's obvious that the creator never spent time with storyboards, planned transitions, fadeouts, rollovers, frame-by-frame editing for lipsynch, and from my perspective, don't look for something unique to project a particular message, as evidenced by the countless number of Bleach, Naruto, and Dragon Ball Z AMV's set to silly things like Linkin park and Evanesence.

I appreciate the convenience. The ease. downloading raws, or ripping DVD VOBs, what-have-you. The accessibility.
I feel resentment and a little bit of contempt because what was once an elite class of dedicated fans who labored long and hard over perhaps one or two AMV productions a year, is now something that anyone, like I said, can pump out a few in a matter of hours.

Comparitively speaking, then: Is the AMV community better or worse?

S

SOAD2k8

I think that overall, the gap between good vids and bad vids has widened. Your right when saying that people can just go out and download whatever anime they want and make a video in about an hour, but at the same time, the more serious editors out there are honing their skills and producing better work than ever. It all depends on the creator. If he or shee takes the time to do everything right, the vid will be good. If not, it won't be. Simple as that, it's just that people don't want to take as much time nowadays. Again, there is still a HUGE segment out there of people who are bettering themselves out of this new technology. This gap is only going to get bigger, though, I think, do to sites like YouTube, because that is showing AMVs to a whole new audience, more or less the "viral videos" crowd. These are probably going to be the people that are going to put out a video an hour and hope for the best, just because it looks easy. That is deffinatley NOT good for the serious AMV editors out there.

K

kajin_phoenixlord

Well, I didn't start making AMVs up until early 2005. Even though it hasn't been as long as Nestor I do agree that it's more convienient for us now with the sources. It's been heaven for me actually. I agree also that the gap between good and bad videos have widened tremendously. It's kind of sad when you run into videos when you can actually see no effort whatsoever put into their videos. I knew from the get go that making these video are not easy, but to me that's the fun of it. You can actually test yourelf and see if you're good or not.