• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Compare & contrast: Tea party v. Immigration protests

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
After all the spin, smears, misrepresentations, and demonization of the Tea Party and tax protests now we see how the other side conducts itself. Where is the balance in the media reporting? Where are those who have tried to smear the tea party now? Will they come before the cameras and microphones to pontificate about the real violence we have seen in these recent protests?
------
Here is what happened to one guy for expressing support for the law:

YouTube - Apr. 23, 2010 - Arizona SB1070: "Small Riot Breaks Out at Immigration Protest" - part 1\2
------
And a wider angle:

YouTube - Mexicans Riot in Wake of Arizona Illegal Alien Crackdown
------
Yet it is the peaceful tea party that gets this treatment:

Rep. Andre Carson: Tea Party Protesters Are ‘One of the Largest Threats to our Internal Security’ - Big Government

Are Tea Partiers Racist? - Newsweek.com

(no wonder newsweek = fail)

Last edited:

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
Compare: There are both lunatics and people who do sincerely care in both movements.
Contrast: The target of their collective frustrations is different.
Perhaps that’s it.

I wouldn’t trust the media as far as I could throw them. Media, by and large today, is a gross amalgamation of talking heads and pseudo-politicians pandering to their demographics. There are a few decent, worthy reporters out there—but more noise than anything else. The media is a business—I hate to sound cynical but, at the end of the day, they are still looking to make money. Now, I cannot nor would not “blame” the media for everything—that would just be intellectually lazy of me. People are angry about other things in their daily lives, and these protest movements sync up with the culmination of their problems.

Let's be fair, really--the Tea Party certainly has had moments of "violence" (if not directly physically, then in speech and manner, though they are free to say what they wish). But so has the Anti-Tea Party movement. Movements are made of fallible, often emotional people. To deify or villify the generalization of a mass of individuals can be inaccurate and unfair. This is what leads us away from the rational process of hold individuals accountable for their actions.

So, SS, I agree with you that the Tea Party has been unfairly characterized by a lot of news organizations. I only say in return that this happens on all sides, even the immigration protests--people tend to get stuck in "echo-chambers" and hear the resonance of only one political viewpoint, which often leads to the, "You never hear about how..." line.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
It's simple, these anarchists, leftists are the violent ones, even though they advocate "peace".

I'm yet to see these outbursts at tea party, pro freedom movements. When I was at the gun rally in Harrisburg last week I got into a dialogue with a Harrisburg/Capital PD. He was telling me he enjoys security details with the Tea Party crowds because there are no problems from them, the problems come from the leftist/anarchist groups.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
To be honest, I've seen worse riots take place after a freaking hockey game. This one is pretty tame, I mean...waterbottles? I've seen Flyer's fans throw Molotov cocktails.:lol: People got rather upset over something rather controversial here--that's understandable--not excusable by any stretch of the law whatsoever, but understandable. The guy even said in the first video that their next course of action is peaceful protest and legal action--how is that "leftist/anarchist" at all?
----
EDIT: Actually, I really think that it is hard to compare these two movements. These Mexican-Americans really were "pro-freedom" in their minds, just like the Tea Partiers. Had they been carrying, "Don't Tread On Me" flags, it might have been looked at rather differently. They are worried about freedoms being taken away--their freedom from being unfairly profiled or even unjustly detained. I know that is another thread and argument altogether, but the point of my post here is to say that really these two movements have the same core belief in freedom.

Last edited:

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
@ Steg: C'mon man, where is the violence at tea party gatherings? Angry speech does not qualify. Don't tread on me!? Reminders of the reason for a 2nd amendment? That's nothing like assaulting police officers and vandalizing businesses.

Yea, I'm from Ann Arbor. I've seen countless riots celebrating championships. Cars rolled, vandalism, property destruction, bottles & rocks thrown, tear gas etc, etc. The point is a non-violent group is being portrayed as stupid redneck racist, bigoted, homophobes that are the biggest threat to domestic tranquility while those who are truly intimidating and violent are given a pass.

Picture of the Week: AZ Immigration Protest Sign | USBACKLASH.ORG

Last edited:

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
@ Steg: C'mon man, where is the violence at tea party gatherings? Angry speech does not qualify. Don't tread on me!? Reminders of the reason for a 2nd amendment? That's nothing like assaulting police officers and vandalizing businesses.

Yea, I'm from Ann Arbor. I've seen countless riots celebrating championships. Cars rolled, vandalism, property destruction, bottles & rocks thrown, tear gas etc, etc. The point is a non-violent group is being portrayed as stupid redneck racist, bigoted, homophobes that are the biggest threat to domestic tranquility while those who are truly intimidating and violent are given a pass.
I understand the frustration with the Tea Party being labeled as, "stupid rednecks...etc...etc..." and I do not condone that at all--not for a second; that's not fair. I do not like generalizations. And I definitely do not think that the Tea Party is a totally riotous group. Again, I do not like using groups definitions to define individuals so much. It is not fair to portray that group as such--it is not cool, no. But it is going to happen. Every group gets criticized or misrepresented at some point or another. If they are resilient enough, they'll make it through on their own steam. We are looking at snap-shot instances, really, without all the facts or details.

We all tend to talk in absolutes, though. Those guys who assaulted officers were not given a free pass. Those who they could identify and arrest were arrested--that's not a free pass. And, remember when bricks got thrown through windows just a few weeks ago? Remember death threats over the phone to senators? Perhaps one or two of those people would identify themselves with the Tea Party movement. I'm not saying that for sure, but I am just saying it. I don't find it realistic that there is any way one can throw a halo over an entire movement and say that it is without sin. Why is it so hard to see that it is happening on both sides?

This is what it is starting to feel like, to me: it's like when a brother and sister are sitting in the back of their parent's car on a long road trip and they both get into a bit of a scuffle. When the mother or father whips her or his head around, both the brother and the sister are holding their shoulders "in pain" and upset when throughout the course of the ride there is an inconsistency in the delegation of punishment.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I like the analogy, I used to torment my sister in the car on long trips (big suprise, huh?!) :lol:

I think my point is the leftward slant that dominates pop culture. You know like "Yea man those illegal, I mean undocumented americans just want their freedom. Those rich, white, conservative bigots are just angry a black man is president."

That seems to be the narrative. And it would seem that a lot of people are buying in to that stereotype :(

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
I like the analogy, I used to torment my sister in the car on long trips (big suprise, huh?!) :lol:

I think my point is the leftward slant that dominates pop culture. You know like "Yea man those illegal, I mean undocumented americans just want their freedom. Those rich, white, conservative bigots are just angry a black man is president."

That seems to be the narrative. And it would seem that a lot of people are buying in to that stereotype :(
I understand your frustration--I have mine as well. The US is a big place, geographically and culturally--perhaps we all are noticing different dominant themes. One man looks at the horizon and says, "look at all those trees," while the other man says, "look at all that sky"...

easyD

Registered Member
I'm a tea-party goer. I have never seen anything derogatory at a tea party. I've seen what the infiltrators have done and they ship that crap to the lame-stream media within minutes. We give notice right away that infiltrators will not be given any attention at all.
These trespassers demanding rights in a country other than their own is madness. It's the kind of violence and civil disobedience you saw in those videos that warrants the law to ask for their proof of citizenship.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
These trespassers demanding rights in a country other than their own is madness. It's the kind of violence and civil disobedience you saw in those videos that warrants the law to ask for their proof of citizenship.
You make an interesting point about the warrant to ask for proof of citizenship, but I don't think that everyone at that protest (or those who protest this bill anywhere) are all illegal immigrants. Now, yes, someone who is here illegally and says something like, "You owe us--support me," is madness--or, disrespectful to fellow humans say the least. It's a pain in the ass to immigrate here legally, but it can be done and should be done legally.

What I feel a lot of Mexican-Americans / Anglo-Americans...er...I hate politically correct terms, ok, let me restart: what a lot of PEOPLE are upset about is the idea that this Arizona bill gives police too much power to lead to illegal search, detainment, and seizure. I think this sign-carrier is like one of those asshole who shows up to a legitimate peaceful rally and has all the media swarm him. Now, yes, the illegal immigration problem is absolutely atrocious--there is no way around saying it so bluntly. But some people are angry because they really don't want to just trust the cops and state with that much power to just pull someone off the street like the gestapo. As a Tea Party member, easyD, I am sure you can at least sympathize with that core belief?

Last edited: