• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Commonly misspelt words

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Inspired by one of the funniest threads I've seen in a while, in the introductions forum.

Please detail words you often find difficult to spell. Ones that you just can't seem to get right even though you've had to correct it before.

For me:
*The word Necessary is a pain, never sure about the number of Cs and Ss. Or whether there's a couple of As or Es or whatever. Heck I might have spelt it wrong there, I haven't checked it.
*The word Its versus It's - with an apostrophe, is a nightmare too. I know the rules regarding it, I just find myself having to go back and either add the apostrophe or remove it. It always makes me feel like a right lamebrain when I have to do that. Bloody annoying language. And I'm supposed to be some sort of author. The world is shit.

Anyway, contributions?

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
psikopath... I dunno why, but I can never spell it right. The sad thing is I am a psikopath. It's a crying shame I can't spell out my own mental disorder.

Dabs

Registered Member
So many people write your instead of you're.
For intance.."You're so pretty"........I see it several times a day, people will put "your so pretty"

Or "your so very welcome"...when it should be "you're so very welcome".

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Thos werds ar esy to spel. I nevr spll anyting rong.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Thos werds ar esy to spel. I nevr spll anyting rong.
You (inadvertantly, or intentionally, I don't know) raise an interesting point here.

You see, spelling isn't that important. I mean, well I do try to spell everything correctly, just check how much I've editted in my post history if you want to see how much. Yet in the end it isn't that important. You see, a friend once wrote a 2 page statement on the subject in which more or less every word was misspelt to some degree and also made grammatically incorrect to boot.

However, given a tiny bit of effort the gist of the piece was easily readable, like your reply. Which begs a question or two:

a:Is spelling important at all?
b:Why are some people so pedantic about it? -

My opinion:
a: No idea
b: I don't know either, I am only pedantic about my own spelling, other's spelling makes no difference to me unless it is totally inelligible.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Yh, establshed speling is a relitively nue thng. Fr mosst uf historey, peple jst speled thngs hwever thae wnted.

inadvertantly, or intentionally, I don't know
inadvrtntly. I ws juust makeing a stpid jok. :)

Tucker

Lion Rampant
You (inadvertantly, or intentionally, I don't know) raise an interesting point here.

You see, spelling isn't that important. I mean, well I do try to spell everything correctly, just check how much I've editted in my post history if you want to see how much. Yet in the end it isn't that important. You see, a friend once wrote a 2 page statement on the subject in which more or less every word was misspelt to some degree and also made grammatically incorrect to boot.

However, given a tiny bit of effort the gist of the piece was easily readable, like your reply. Which begs a question or two:

a:Is spelling important at all?
b:Why are some people so pedantic about it? -

My opinion:
a: No idea
b: I don't know either, I am only pedantic about my own spelling, other's spelling makes no difference to me unless it is totally inelligible.
There are three inarguably misspelled words and at least eight other typos in your post. And you know, if I had Asperger syndrome, I might care.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
There are three inarguably misspelled words and at least eight other typos in your post. And you know, if I had Asperger syndrome, I might care.
In respect to informal sub-talk chatter I think not.

Although I would like to know which parts you believe are incorrectly spelled. Please.