Commodore 64

Viggenstien

Registered Member
I have one, and it works. Unbelievable as it has been sitting in my old basement for a good ten years. But here's the problem I've been having. Once it has been off for a while it takes forever for it to get going. What I mean is I have to flip the switch on the keyboard a good 50 times before I get past the blue screen with the colorful e's. I mainly use it to play old school games, so obviously if the game is inserted it should go right to the game screen once the computer is switched to on. Is this just a temperature issue or is there something I can do about it. And yes I took it apart to clean it and yes it was working properly after I did that. It just started doing this yesterday and I'm not entirely sure what it means.

I probably knew at one point when I got it back when I was like 2, but obviously my memory is quite that good.

Any suggestions?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
It's not a games console. It doesn't autorun, you need to tell it to run. Now, are you using tapes or disks?

If you're using a tape, make sure it's wound to the correct position and either type "LOAD" without the quotes, then press play on the casette player (making sure to press enter after typing LOAD, of course...); or, if memory serves me well, press shift & run stop.

Now, if you're using a disk, then I generally find that typing LOAD"*",8,1 works. Well, as long as you want to load the very first thing on the 5.25 floppy that is...

Viggenstien

Registered Member
Mine has a place for game cartridges. I put the cartridge in and normally it would automatically load the game. It's always done that. But since it hasn't been used in god only knows how long, it's working silly. It's just strange that it autoran the program when I first started using it a few days ago and now it's doing the "e" thing.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Oh bloody hell, I forgot about the cartridge slot. That came to me after I went to bed...

In that case, yeah, it should usually automatically load up. When you said you cleaned "it", do you mean just the C64, or did you also clean the cartridge?

Also bear in mind that we're dealing with rather old hardware, here. It is entirely possible that the quality of the cartridge itself has degraded, thus causing the errors. The same has been happening to my Action Replay cartridge for...well a fair few years now.

Last edited:

Viggenstien

Registered Member
Haha okay I thought I was going crazy. Yeah it's probably just had it's time and is ready to be laid to rest. Of course...Ebay is always great. I found all kinds of parts and cartridges and all of that for this thing on there. And some other site dedicated to old ass computers and technology.

Besides... after I posed my friend was switching to a different game and the chip inside the cartridge flew out...so now it's good and broke -_-

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
buy new keyboard or oil the button try to resolve it release it shake it...
That's...not going to work here. The Commodore 64 is an old personal computer crossed with a keyboard.

Everything you need to work the Commodore in encased within that keyboard.

Now, the actual problem was the cartridge slot on the back. If you put a cartridge in there, it immediately loads up a game, like any of the cartridge based consoles. By the looks of things, the system wasn't reading the cartridge correctly. This can be due to a number of things, but it's likely that the hardware is starting to degrade.

Not that it matters now anyway, someone broke the cartridge after one of the previous posts...