• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Commentary - Lord of the Rings

dDave

V.I.P.
Recently, I've been watching quite a bit of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Yeah, I know, I watch it all the time because I absolutely adore the films. :lol:

It's been different for me recently because rather than simply watching the films, I'm watching them with the commentary turned on. So far I've gotten through the entire Cast Commentary as well as the Directors and Writers Commentary. I find these to be fascinating, they go into such a high level of detail describing the film making process, special effects, funny stories, etc.

I still have the post production commentary and the design team commentary before I'm done watching the commentaries. I also intend to watch all of the behind the scenes stuff which adds up to about 25 hours of content by itself.

Has anybody else watched any of this or am I crazy about Tolkien all by myself? :lol:

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I love LotR's, and as much as I can rewatch the movies back to back as many times as I have time for, that much commentary might be a bit much for me. I wouldn't mind watching it through with one set of commentaries, so maybe let me know which you think was the best and I'll give that a shot. Commentary is often fascinating and I would probably enjoy it, but too much of it would just bore me.

dDave

V.I.P.
I love LotR's, and as much as I can rewatch the movies back to back as many times as I have time for, that much commentary might be a bit much for me. I wouldn't mind watching it through with one set of commentaries, so maybe let me know which you think was the best and I'll give that a shot. Commentary is often fascinating and I would probably enjoy it, but too much of it would just bore me.
I can already say for sure that the cast commentary is generally the most interesting. You get to hear a lot of the people that are actually in the film talk about the experience. You get to hear from lots of people including Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Ian Mckellen, Christopher Lee, Orlando Bloom, John Rhys Davies, Liv Tyler, Dominic Monaghan, Billy Boyd, Sean Bean, Bernard Hill, John Noble, Karl Urban, Mirando Otto, Brad Dourif, David Wenham, and even Hugo Weaving. Viggo Mortensen is regrettably absent from the commentary but it's still quite good.

I did really enjoy the directors/writers commentary with Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens though :).

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I think I'll give the cast one a watch then, thanks. Pity about Viggo though. Pretty important character to not have as a part of the rest. :(

I'll watch it soon and let you know what I thought. ;)

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm still watching the extra stuff, there's a lot of content. I'm taking a break on the commentaries, the appendices and behind the scenes stuff is all quite interesting though.

I am happy to report that Viggo Mortensen did a lot of interviews, archive footage, and other behind the scenes stuff; he's just not in the commentary.