Coming out your parents closet.

Keeping up with my same sex theme today; if you were indeed a lesbian / homosexual, would you have shared the revelation with your parents at any point? If not, why? If so, how do you predict they'd have reacted to the news? Would religious, ethical or 'old fashioned' beliefs have stood in the way?

If you're already gay and don't mind sharing stories, adjust the question and please feel free.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
"clauset"? wtf?

I dated a girl once. It was easier to tell my dad than my mom, but neither one really cared, despite my mother's extreme catholicness.

Westy

Registered Member
Keeping up with my same sex theme today; if you were indeed a lesbian / homosexual, would you have shared the revelation with your parents at any point? If not, why? If so, how do you predict they'd have reacted to the news? Would religious, ethical or 'old fashioned' beliefs have stood in the way?

If you're already gay and don't mind sharing stories, adjust the question and please feel free.
Can i ask a question, your facsination with this subject are you trying to tell us something?:nod:

Cant spell either lol!!

Last edited:

Blueyes

Registered Member
If I were a lesbian, depending on how it would have affected my mother would depend on whether I would have told her or not. If it would have hurt her than ya otherwise I would have kept it to myself just like I do everything else because it isn't none of her business. Let's just say my family dynamics aren't the best of anything.

=======

Maybe he's trying to come out the "clauset" to us :)

Last edited:
Awww you changed the title. I was thinking you meant something like "the parent's clause"

If I were into the the same sex, I'd have no need to tell either of my parents. I went my own way as soon as possible and haven't shared much with them since.
I hope if my own girls ever take that path, that they'd be comfortable enough in our relationship to be open about it.

Don't ask, Jeanie. I have no answer. :shake: And ask me again on a Friday night, Westy.

I'll chip in with my own while I'm here. I'm struggling to picture how my parents would react. They've never spoken derogatory in the matter as far as I know. I think my dad would be disappointed but wouldn't have made a big deal out of it. My mum.. absolutely no idea, honestly. I'd guess she wouldn't have been too fussed. I think both would have probably taken the news fine really as long as I kept it a private thing, which sexual preference is probably supposed to be. I think I'd tell them, but I'm not quite sure why.

--

It always said closet, AP. I don't know what you're talking about.
:cry:

Last edited:
I think both would have probably taken the news fine really as long as I kept it a private thing, which sexual preference is probably supposed to be.
Why does sexual preference have to be private? That's saying that two women/men can't hold hands or kiss in public.

is probably supposed to be.
I don't see any real need to verbally announce or make a fuss about sexual preference. Kissing, hugging is more the natural physical side of it (unless you're intentially doing so to cause attention, which I frown upon).

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't see any real need to verbally announce or make a fuss about sexual preference. Kissing, hugging is more the natural physical side of it (unless you're intentially doing so to cause attention, which I frown upon).
Like one of those massive orgies (AKA: Gay pride parades)? I can't say I'm a fan either.

I would definitely tell my parents. However, I've known people who couldn't. For example, I knew a girl years ago that couldn't come out to her parents because she knew that they'd disown her because they're very strong Catholics. So she had to wait until she was moved out to say anything and I'm actually not sure if she ever did.

I think the only case I could make for publicly declaring sexual orientation is for political reasons and there's plenty of routes to do so and let people know you exist. Otherwise, it's the business of a select few imo. Socially, there's bigger and better things to discuss. Gay, straight or bi, I'd still have a crinkled face when I see things like application forms asking my sexual preference. It's not that it's taboo, important or top secret information, it's just like my penis size -- 'NOYFB' and my private affair. Although you'll have a lot more enjoyment and comical use from that info. This is digressing from the original question though. I'm more interested in seeing how the GF old folks and their past generations see the issue and any affects of it.

As I expected, it seems fairly mixed so far.

Last edited: