Colors.

Twitch

Registered Member
My friend and I talked about this a few weeks ago.

What makes us think that we see the same colors?

My blue could be someone else's red.

Their red could be someone's yellow.

So my blue is that person's yellow.

And having "warm" and "cool" colors doesn't help, because if someone is brought up believing their "red" color is a cool color, because someone else has learned it to be blue, then they will be calling blue, red. But what if that person is wrong, and it's not blue, but green? Or pink?

Thoughts?

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Uh, do not get me started on this. Me and my colour blind friend had a similar discussion the other day. It went round and round in circles.

It reminds me of this quote from the Matrix:

That's exactly my point. Exactly! Because you have to wonder: how do the machines know what Tasty Wheat tasted like? Maybe they got it wrong. Maybe what I think Tasty Wheat tasted like actually tasted like oatmeal, or tuna fish. That makes you wonder about a lot of things. You take chicken, for example: maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything!
It's the same thing in different context.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I've actually thought about that sometimes, it's a very weird subject that you can never be sure of but you can be sure of one thing, dark colors are still seen as dark, black is everyones black and white is everyones white (especially white light since it involves all colors of the rainbow)

What if everyone's favorite color is actually the same? :shocked:

leomay

Registered Member
i think people see colour different just becouse his eye` fabric is different with others....
in our world ,the theory about colour is wrong .they say the light make colours...
if fact ,it just couse the things of the molecular arrange make the colour...

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Folks who deal with the philosophy of mind professionally, call this "the problem of inverted qualia." What I mean by that, of course, is that I'm a philosophy nerd and probably need help. That aside, I don't reckon there's any way to tell if someone else experiences colors differently than me. Daniel Dennett has suggested that if you were to have the way you see colors inverted, you would stop noticing after a month or so, and that there's nothing significant about our experience of particular colors (e.g. they might as well be inverted, for all the difference it makes), and thus that it's not meaningful that scientists in the far future almost certainly won't be able to tell us if we all experience color the same. I think he sometimes sniffs glue. :)

Last edited:
I've thought about this lots of times, makes my head hurt. I don't really see why we would see radically different colours from eachother, though I agree there's no way to tell.. for now.

Sometimes when I happen to catch a runway show on TV I hope for their sake it's true, and they don't see what I see. :lol:

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
I have also thought about this on many occasions. What if people aren't seeing the same colours as me.... I never really come to a conclusion about it tbh, but even so I still come back and think about it. Maybe it is possible for people to see different colours. People may see the same colours but they may be slightly varied then what other people might see.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Now only if we found a way to temporarily switch eyes with another to find out....

Come to think of it, someone asked me before if I only see partially (not related to colors but to space) because I don't have big eyes like she does. So she imagines I only see what she sees if she half closes her eyes, haha.

My mom and I always argue about colors. We'd see the same object and describe it differently. I think it's more about color blindness :lol:. I took a test once to see where my weak points are in distinguishing between closely related colors and I have issues with blue/green mixes.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
ysabel said:
Now only if we found a way to temporarily switch eyes with another to find out....
It's not only a matter of how a persons eyes function, but also of how their brain processes color. Granted, you might have been joking there, and I might be being silly by pointing out the obvious. I've never been good at being able to tell when I'm doing that.