• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Colorado School Shooter

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Man, did anybody else hear about this?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,216238,00.html

The worst thing is that one girl was killed by this guy. I really think schools need to tighten security a ton. Stuff like this shouldn't even be an option. If that were my kid who was killed I would be so mad right now. I'm mad enough just hearing about this.

The guy who held the girls hostage shot one 16 year old girl and then shot himself fatally before police could stop him. The girl then died later at the hospital.

So sad. My heart goes out to the family. :(

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
What bothers me is that it wouldn't have even been addressed as widely if no one was killed. There's many incidents of shootings and kids having guns in school that go away from the mass media outlets on a daily baisis. It happened at my high school at least twice a year, and that's no joke. One student even fired a rifle at the bus, claimed it was an accident, and was back in school a month or so later.

Albey

Registered Member
Well, scuba, i don't know if you rember or not, but there was many times guns were brought to school and they never told anyone. I'f heard threats from the school administrator that if it got out they'd be disciplined severly.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
That kid did it for the same reason most kids have done it. He was made fun of constantly at school. Nothing was done to stop the bullying and he decided this was a good solution. This happens time and time again and yet schools still don't treat bullying as an issue worth worrying about.

I'm not defending the kid. What he did was inexcusable, but the school should realize that people who are constantly being attacked are prone to do crazy things when they reach their breaking point.

That being said, I woke up this morning to ANOTHER ONE.. :rant:

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...CRIME-SCHOOLS.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsArt-R2-Today-2

This guy bound and killed 3 girls execution style in an Amish school. The police then shot at him and I'm not positive who killed him, the police or himself, but he was dead at the scene.

This last week has been a horrific display of where America is going unless people get their acts together. Here we are worried about other countries attacking us while we are killing ourselves from the inside out.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
5 girls dead as of this morning, I can't begin to imagine the mentality of someone who holds a grudge for 20 years, then goes and kills innocent children who weren't even alive when whatever it was that happened, happened.
What a sad, sad day for a a community of people who's crime rate is so non-existant, they don't even have a police department.

Nanner

Registered Member
Yes, two of these happened here in rural midwest. One almost in my backyard (the one where the 2 boys were stopped before they could carry out their 3 year plan)! The kid who turned them in ended up as CBS's person of the week. Not just guns but bombs.

You're right. Many of these don't make the news if nobody is killed. Infact if it wasn't for online half of them I never would have heard of. (Then again if it's not on ESPN.....:rolleyes: )

Makes me very very scared having a kid in preschool right now!

One room, uban, rural, private....nothing seems to be safe!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Nanner do you have a news link to that one that was stopped? I have half a mind to write a letter to the newspaper here and call them out for not having anything about that. (I'll doublecheck first but I skim the paper daily and didn't hear about that at all).

It's the ones that are stopped that should be bigger news than the ones that go sour if you ask me.

Personally, I think 25% minimum of teachers in schools need to be trained to use guns and go through some tactical training, and then carry concealed weapons. Then schools need to have 1 armed security guard for every 100 students enrolled.

Schools also need to have one door unlocked during the day and make all students use that door for entering. Add some metal detectors there and at the very least kids would think 10 or 12 times before attempting anything.

At the VERY LEAST, something needs to be done to help prevent this.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
Let's look at another side to that though Andrew, I live just outside Detroit and guarantee that several kids a day are caught bringing guns to school, just yesterday 2 of their districts schools were on lockdown, I hate to say a lot of people have become immune to hearing about this crap in this area, but it does seem to be that way.
If the news were to report EVERY time a gun or weapon was found on a student, there would not be room for the other news stories.
But, if it's a matter of coming to school with the intention of killing others, then yes, that should be reported. But, how are the authorities suppose to differentiate between the two circumstances when a lot of these kids are raised in idiotic households with no values, and have learned the art of lying so well?
As far as the teachers being trained to use guns, I would be distinctly uncomfortable knowing my childs teacher had a gun in the classroom (if your going to train them, then I assume you'll also supply them).

Nanner

Registered Member