• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Colorado 2014 Senate Race

dDave

V.I.P.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2014 - Colorado Senate - Gardner vs. Udall

I'd like to open up discussion about the senate race this year in my home state of Colorado.

Udall vs Gardner

I will say this, I am most definitely voting for Gardner. I may not agree with him 100% but he's so far beyond Udall that I'm proud to support him. In all honesty, I was actually pulling for Amy Stephens to get the nomination but that didn't happen, she's throwing her support to Gardner as well.

This is going to be a really close race and I hope that it's watched very closely to make sure there isn't any foul play. I don't want to find out that someone was hiding an entire box of illegal ballots in the trunk of their car and suddenly the race flips Democrat like clockwork.

I think Colorado is flipping back to conservatism/Republicanism. I don't know how long it will last but I hope it sticks around for a while.

Thoughts on this race?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This is going to be a really close race and I hope that it's watched very closely to make sure there isn't any foul play. I don't want to find out that someone was hiding an entire box of illegal ballots in the trunk of their car and suddenly the race flips Democrat like clockwork.
Like clockwork? Is there a history of foul play that has favored Mark Udall or other Democrats in Colorado elections before? You make it sound like it happens in every race. What if a Republican wins because of foul play? That's not outside the realm of possibility, you know.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I personally could give less than a shit what party my state 'flips to' as long as they serve the people and help my state grow and prosper rather than line the pockets of the wealthy. Like clockwork.

From the very little info I could find, both seem like decent candidates but it seems hard to find any real details of where they stand on many issues.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Udall has pretty much just been stamp for whatever Obama has wanted. That alone is reason enough to not vote for him. He's pretty much your average liberal senator. Supports the ACA, massive enticement spending, extremely unconstitutional gun control laws, abortion on demand, etc. I don't know of anything specifically corrupt he has done, he may even be a nice guy, but his positions on all of the issues are almost completely wrong.

I don't know much about Gardner yet, but from what I have read he seems to be a good candidate, and pretty conservative.

dDave

V.I.P.
Yeah, Udall will basically vote the Liberal line while Garner will basically vote the Conservative line (on like 98% of issues). Don't confuse Conservative with Republican though, they are not the same thing. That's what the whole Tea Party division of the Republican party is all about, Conservatism vs Establishment GOP.

Udall has supported the ACA time and time again and has even repeated the lie of the year by telling people they can keep their healthcare plans even though that's clearly not the case. I think he still believes what Obama said was true as well. He supports an extreme viewpoint on firearms and is pro-choice. Not an attractive candidate at all in my view.

I'm just glad we don't have Ken Buck running against Udall, I feel as if Gardner has a much better chance.

dDave

V.I.P.
Like clockwork? Is there a history of foul play that has favored Mark Udall or other Democrats in Colorado elections before? You make it sound like it happens in every race. What if a Republican wins because of foul play? That's not outside the realm of possibility, you know.
To answer your question in short. No, there isn't a specific history of cheating in Colorado that I can recall. Still, it's a swing state for sure so you can understand why I might be a bit concerned.

I'm just gonna come straight out and say it even though this may be a topic for a new thread. Though I don't trust Democrats or establishment GOP I do think Democrats cheat more in elections. It may not even necessarily be the candidates themselves cheating but others cheating on their behalf.

When I used the phrase "like clockwork" I was referring to the results changing after the catalyst occurs such as finding another box of votes, recounting, etc. occurs. Hopefully that makes sense, if it doesn't then don't think too much of it.

There are tons of examples of voter fraud (I'm sure there are some cases with the GOP too). Here are just a few memorable ones for me.

Washington Governor 2002 - Ever heard of Gregoire vs Rossi? It's quite a famous case. They did a recount and Rossi won, they did another recount and Rossi still won. They did a third recount and miraculously Gregoire (the Democrat) took the lead by 129 votes and then they called the race. Yeah, we all believe nothing corrupt happened there :rolleyes:

Minnesota Senate 2008 - Al Franken won by just 312 votes across the entire state, yep 312. Originally Norm Coleman was up by 725 votes the morning after the election but the lawyers showed up and months later Franken was declared the winner after many ballots were "invalidated". The race was ridiculously close and 1,100 felons were actually allowed to vote even though legally they aren't allowed to, the votes of these felons were not invalidated. Gee, I wonder if that could have possibly impacted the election...

Nevada Senate 2010 - Harry Reid vs Sharron Angle. Angle was up by at least 3 points according to polling right before the election. 75% of Nevada's residents live in Clark County and it was irrefutably proven that at least some of the machines were automatically registering votes for Harry Reid even when people were trying to vote for Angle.

Florida Senate 2012 - Patrick Murphy vs Allen West. West was ahead by 2,000 votes and they decided to do a recount on a lot of the early ballots. Somehow after the recount West was behind by 2,400 votes. They wouldn't do a recount for West after the first recount because it "wasn't in the 0.5% margin" that required a recount. It's funny because West was ahead by more than 0.5% and somehow they managed to find a way to do a recount when it would possibly favor the Democrat. The results of the election flipped and they can't find it within themselves to do another recount and carefully count each individual vote?

How about ballots being found in car trunks and somehow they're always votes for the Democrat? How about those voting machines that are programmed to go for the Democrat even though voters are trying to vote for the Republican? How about the recounts that somehow turn the election around to the Democrat? How about illegal voting? How about those counties that receive more votes than there are registered voters? Dead people voting? Double voting? The ways to cheat in the polls are numerous and I think they're all used together to really sway elections, especially in recent years.

We can fix so many of these problems by passing voter ID laws and enforcing them. Democrats are quick to paint these laws as oppressive, unfair to minorities, etc. even though the ID card is FREE and honestly, everyone ought to have an ID anyway. It's not oppressive, it's meant to counter obvious crime that DOES happen. Voter ID laws make so much sense I can't see it as anything but corrupt that it's not required yet. So why do Democrats oppose them? I feel as if it's obvious but I'll let y'all fill in the blanks.

/end rant.

As this pertains to Colorado, the race here is very important on a national level. I am fearful that cheating will occur to keep Udall seated because so many people desperately want to keep him in. I should also clearly state (for the record) that I am 100% not ok with cheating on Gardner's behalf either.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Though I don't trust Democrats or establishment GOP I do think Democrats cheat more in elections. It may not even necessarily be the candidates themselves cheating but others cheating on their behalf.
:lol:

If you think Democrats are more likely to cheat than Republicans (yes, even the Tea Party), or if you think one side is more honest than the other, then you are living in some kind of fantasy world, and I wish I lived there with you.

Nevada Senate 2010 - Harry Reid vs Sharron Angle. Angle was up by at least 3 points according to polling right before the election. 75% of Nevada's residents live in Clark County and it was irrefutably proven that at least some of the machines were automatically registering votes for Harry Reid even when people were trying to vote for Angle.
Polling is not always accurate. Eric Cantor was supposed to be leading by 34 points according to one poll, and he lost by 10 points. I guess there was a 50% margin of error on that one. Haha

You can suspect cheating in a lot of elections, and I'm sure in some cases there actually is.

Here, Ron Paul and Rick Santorum accused the Romney campaign of foul play.

Ron Paul, Rick Santorum Suggest Foul Play From Romney Campaign

There was the 2000 Presidential election controversy in Florida with the recounts and problematic ballots.

There's the current Mississippi Senate race where some strange things have been going on in the Republican primary. Four supporters of Chris McDaniel (the Tea Party candidate) were arrested in a plot to break into the nursing home to take pictures of the opponent's bedridden wife. On the night of the primary, a McDaniel campaign official somehow got locked inside the courthouse (where the ballots were) at like 2:30 am, hours after the building was closed.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Udall has pretty much just been stamp for whatever Obama has wanted. That alone is reason enough to not vote for him. He's pretty much your average liberal senator. Supports the ACA, massive enticement spending, extremely unconstitutional gun control laws, abortion on demand, etc. I don't know of anything specifically corrupt he has done, he may even be a nice guy, but his positions on all of the issues are almost completely wrong.

I don't know much about Gardner yet, but from what I have read he seems to be a good candidate, and pretty conservative.
You could say the same thing about republicans, they will vote for whatever a republican president wants. That's politics for you. No matter what side your talking about they pretty much vote with their party even if its not best for the people.

dDave

V.I.P.
Back on topic for this discussion. Here's an article from the Denver Post concerning the election here.

Millions of dollars pour into Gardner-Udall race for U.S. Senate - The Denver Post

The race is going to be very close. As they say, it's "statistically tied"

RCP has Udall up by just one point.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2014 - Colorado Senate - Gardner vs. Udall

Given, the numbers from NBC look questionable given that they're reporting Udall as +7 while nobody else is reporting higher than a 2 point advantage for either candidate.

I think the general feeling across the country is that conservatism is coming back. When Udall was elected in 2008 I think everyone was super excited about Obama (before they realized he was a failure), he won't enjoy that benefit this time around.

I hope Gardner smashes Udall in the race so there's no question about who deserved to win.

Last edited: