• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

College vs. Pro Sports

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Pro for me, college is just the minor league until you've reached that pro status.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I prefer to watch Pro Sports, I believe it's more entertaining and more competetive, don't get me wrong College Sports are very competetive, but you have better players on the Pro Sports level then you do on the College Sports.

Take Final Four for an example I love watching March Madness it's incredible, it's so close as well, but I rather watch a NBA Finals match because it's more entertaining, usually it's more competetive, and you have better plays on the Pro side then you do on the College side.

Both are entertaining and I enjoy to watch but I have to go with Pro.

The_Burger_King

Registered Member
I think they are both great, with college you get the atmosphere of a gameday, I live right in the middle of one of the best rivalries in college basketball DUKE and UNC (blue devil fan here btw) and it gets really intense every year when it gets close to them meeting on the hardwood. Both the pro and college game have aspects I enjoy. The NBA is at the bottom of the list haven't paid much attention since the mid to late 90's and it seems to have lost its luster and excitement, so college hoops wins out in that one. NFL and college football are on the top of my list. There are good and bad points on each level, I think it really depends on which matchup you have and/or how much cash you have riding on it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
For everyone saying they like the pros more because the players are better, or the people saying college is like the minor league, watch the BCS National Championship game tomorrow night. Most of those players will be playing on Sundays in the next few years. Many of them will be 1st round draft picks. The minor league comment is just ridiculous. Where do you think all those pros played before they were pros? Is the overall talent level higher in the NFL? Of course. But that doesn't mean college players aren't incredibly skilled and freakishly athletic. You think Randy Moss was slow until he got to the NFL? You think Adrian Peterson wasn't running people over in college?

Take Final Four for an example I love watching March Madness it's incredible, it's so close as well, but I rather watch a NBA Finals match because it's more entertaining, usually it's more competetive, and you have better plays on the Pro side then you do on the College side.
How are the NBA Finals more entertaining than the Final Four? The Final Four is single-elimination, NBA playoff series are seven games. There's no real sense of urgency until one team is facing elimination. I don't see how it's more competitive either. 5 of the last 9 Finals have ended in 4 or 5 games. Only 2 of the last 19 Finals have gone to a 7th game.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree what you're trying to say Echoes, but what I am saying is true, the players that are playing professional are better then the College players. I'm not saying they won't be pro's in a few years, I'm just saying that today's pro's are better players then College players.

You take the BCS for example, yes there's a lot of talent on those two teams, and it's going to be a very competetive game, but lets say you take the College hockey playoffs, you can't saying watching college hockey is more entertaining then watching the NHL, you can say the same thing about watching College Baseball, you cannot say watching College Baseball is more entertaining then MLB.

I have to disagree with you on saying there's no sence of urgency in the basketball playoffs, you honestly think a team wants to go down 2-0, 1-0, 3-0 ect in a playoff series, no they don't they want to win every game they play because they know when they get that 16th victory they win the championship.

The_Burger_King

Registered Member
The NCAA basketball tourney blows the nba finals out of the water on excitment. A win or go home situation is always more exciting than a best of series. I am not saying the NBA finals can't be interesting to watch but, it is no where near the NCAA tourney. I have already asked off from work for the first weekend of the NCAA tourney, I have never done that for a pro best of 7.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree what you're trying to say Echoes, but what I am saying is true, the players that are playing professional are better then the College players. I'm not saying they won't be pro's in a few years, I'm just saying that today's pro's are better players then College players.
Of course. I've said several times that the talent level in the NFL is higher than college. But there's still some college players who are better than most NFL players, like Adrian Peterson last year at Oklahoma. Obviously players like him don't come around very often, but every year there are a handful of college players that could be stars in the NFL RIGHT NOW. Regardless, like I said in a previous post, I don't think better players necessarily makes a more exciting product on the field.
You take the BCS for example, yes there's a lot of talent on those two teams, and it's going to be a very competetive game, but lets say you take the College hockey playoffs, you can't saying watching college hockey is more entertaining then watching the NHL, you can say the same thing about watching College Baseball, you cannot say watching College Baseball is more entertaining then MLB.
First of all, the draft process is a lot different in baseball and hockey than it is in football. A lot of the top players are drafted right out of high school and play in the minor leagues until they're ready for the pros. I don't watch any college hockey or college baseball, but why can't they be more entertaining than the MLB or NHL? Why is talent the sole factor in determining excitement? The rules or league format can't add to the entertainment level? Personally, I can't stay interested in an 82 game regular season (NHL and NBA), not to mention the 162 game MLB season. The games are just so meaningless. Then the playoffs are all best of 5 or 7. College hockey is single elimination and college baseball I believe is double elimination. Seems like a more exciting format.
I have to disagree with you on saying there's no sence of urgency in the basketball playoffs, you honestly think a team wants to go down 2-0, 1-0, 3-0 ect in a playoff series, no they don't they want to win every game they play because they know when they get that 16th victory they win the championship.
Nobody wants to go down 1-0 or 2-0 or whatever, but those games just don't have the same must-win feel that a game 7 or single elimination game does. I've lived in Chicago for 23 years, so of course I'm a Bulls fan. I've watched a shitload of playoff games over the years, and when they lose a non-elimination game it's like "whatever, not a huge deal". When they win, great, let's win the next one too. No comparison to the emotions I go through during and after games where the loser is guaranteed to be eliminated.