• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

College Republicans denied entrance to hear Obama's speech

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
College Republicans Deemed Security Threat, Refused Entrance to Obama?s Campus Speech

Even though they had tickets 10 members of the College Republicans of Central Missouri were denied entrance to hear Obama's speech because they were deemed a "security threat".

This is very disturbing to me, and adds to the narrative of Obama dividing this country. People who disagree with him are not only targeted by the administration but they are deemed security threats as well. This kind of abuse of power is exactly why he shouldn't have been elected in the first place.

dDave

V.I.P.
I really don't understand how they can make the case that the tea party is dangerous. It's very disturbing to me that there's a clear line of discrimination that has been crossed.

I guess that if you disagree with the president you are a threat. That's so messed up. How can Obama (or anybody think that.) Roughly 60 million people voted against the guy, you can't silence them all.

I hope something is done about this, deeming somebody a security threat because of their political beliefs (especially the Tea Party) is so bogus it makes me sick.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Can you imagine a president now allowing Occupy Wall Street participants into a speech simply because of t-shirts they are wearing? I can't because it's never happened. I though college campuses were supposed to be about opening yourself up to different ideas? I thought the US was supposed to be about the free exchange of ideas? Sadly it seems these kinds of ideals are not longer true.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I never read anything about them being 'dangerous' just a security threat. Two different things. The site does not go into much detail about this particular groups' protesting so that's the only part of it that makes me wonder how much of this is being painted to look bad for Obama. I'm also not convinced that these ten kids were the only republicans going to see him either.

But yeah it doesn't look good on paper. However with so little information and only 10 students barred, I don't know how this proves Obama is 'dividing the country'.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
But how else would Obama only have crowds full of cheering people?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Don't they pat people down or something before they can go into wherever the speech is taking place? If they didn't have any knives or guns on them, or any weapon whatever, then how can they be a threat? Whats the worst they can do? Yell something offensive to obama? I can't comment on whether or not this is a sign of obama dividing the US, but I can say that this seems pretty unreasonable, unfair and kinda discriminatory.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I think there's a deep seated belief among politicians, irs workers, Homeland Security and others that work in Washington that tea-party=domestic terrorist.
The students, some of whom donned Tea Party T-Shirts and others who wore patriotic or Republican-inspired clothing, had...
Regardless of the fact that nothing could be further from the truth.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think there's a deep seated belief among politicians, irs workers, Homeland Security and others that work in Washington that tea-party=domestic terrorist.
I think that this is true as well. Watch NBC and you'll literally her that kind of rhetoric being thrown around.

It's funny how they're talking about how they want to have transparency and then when someone calls them out with a legitimate claim they dodge the question and the person/people group that asked the question is labeled a domestic terrorist. It's as if people that disagree with the government are terrorists.

I don't know why anybody would believe that tea party members are dangerous though. They've never had a riot (the Occupy Wall Street people can't say that), they deeply care about their country. If that's what it means to be a domestic terrorist then I guess a lot of us are domestic terrorists.

I think it sends a really bad message that these 10 kids were blocked from going in.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think that this is true as well. Watch NBC and you'll literally her that kind of rhetoric being thrown around.
I've actually never heard them referred to as terrorists. I've heard Occupy protesters called that constantly (along with a slew of other creative names) but honestly not Tea Partiers. I also think OWS was also very poorly organized and a lot of people treated it more like a 'thing to do' rather than an actual cause. Very similar to some members of the Tea Party. However with any group you're bound to have your leeches or hipsters (they just want to be there for the sake of being there basically).

It's as if people that disagree with the government are terrorists.
This has always been something people talk about regardless of group identity. The idea that those in power simply deface those who speak out against them is old hat sadly and it knows no political alliances. It's a form of damage control but in a world like today, it's easier to get information. Why else do you think so many politicians want to neuter the internet?

I don't know why anybody would believe that tea party members are dangerous though. They've never had a riot (the Occupy Wall Street people can't say that), they deeply care about their country. If that's what it means to be a domestic terrorist then I guess a lot of us are domestic terrorists.
Of course they're dangerous, some of them. Just like every other fringe group, you're going to have your select group of crazies that overdosed on the Kool-Aid and went overboard. A very common trend with the Tea Party, when searching up this information online, is there is a LOT of verbal abuse, lots of threats of violence and hatred but not as much action on it. Which on the one hand I suppose is good since action would lead to people getting hurt. It's not hard to find stuff on violence associated with the Tea Party either.

Five seconds on Google.

Once again, I don't think it speaks to the movement as a whole since the American news media answers to corporate owners and thus each station pushes their own democratic and republican agendas and can't be trusted for honest reporting. But it's equally silly to believe an entire group is NOT guilty of some dangerous acts.

I think it sends a really bad message that these 10 kids were blocked from going in.
How? Once again, the article does say that these kids were associated with some protests earlier but gives very little details. They could have been deemed a security risk because one kid was dumb enough to have a sign that was mildly threatening and then this whole 'story' would be boring. Until I see more details, this sounds yet again like your standard divisive news reporting made to get people mad at each other.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I never said it was proof of the division, this is further evidence. In my study of history this administration is by far one of the most divisive. When you take into account the IRS targeting groups, the labeling of James Rosen as a co conspirator along with invading his privacy, the constant "us" versus "them" in his speeches, his constant ad hominems whenever someone disagrees with him, his speech during and after the Zimmerman trial in making it about race instead of sending out a message of healing, this is further evidence of that.

There's no evidence they were being disruptive. There's no evidence they were being unruly. There are many instances of protestors at schools when conservatives speak allowed in and disrupting the speech including my university when President George H.W. Bush spoke here and they were allowed in knowing they opposed the president. Not here.