College- how'd you know which one you wanted to go to?

Well, for those who've reached their college age, or been there, done that-

Plain and simple; How'd you know which college you wanted to go to?

Did you just decide on one near you, did you look around a lot/in depth, did you care about money?....

Just wondering. I tried to find a college thread and couldn't- so if there was one already I apologize.

For me- I've been accepted to 6 schools already- and yet last night someone introduced me to one that I really think is even better for me. I got accepted to University of San Diego- which I'd love to go to- but it's WAYYY to expensive. My 2nd pick was FreeWill Baptist Bible, in Nashville, but I'd have to wear skirts/dresses basically 24/7- And be forced to do a few other things since it's a christian college- anddd I have no problem with doing that- but they don't have a business major- and so I'd have to do Education for sure. But it's right in the heart of the music city *sigh* But my passion for music shouldn't decide where I want to go.

So I figured I'd go to a community college for 2 yrs- then transfer for my Bach....But I really would like to get out of state *hence the applying to yet another one last night*

Bananas

Endangered Species
Im not familiar with the college process in the US, I assume the process of elimination must be the same.

The academia they offer is obviously vital. If they can't offer you the qualification you would like to pursue then rule them out. Then its a case of how good they are at providing the lecturers, facilities and general well-being for its students(league tables, student forums help here).

Cost should also be taken into account but try not to make it a deciding factor. If you have to get a job to help support yourself whilst in college will it really benefit you being at a more expensive college.

Finally where possible visit them! It will give an impression immedeitly.

Me I went to a local college as it happened to be one of the best in my field and plus I already knew the territory(not always a good thing-expand your horizons). Finance was a huge factor for me as the difference between college fees for me at least was striking($8k+ a year different) dependant on location(I live in UK).

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I was going to take a year off to work and get money. Then come July, my mother informs me that she won't be letting me stay home and insists I go to school. I applied to three schools that were still hiring and went to the one that took me.

Good times.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I considered prestige in acad community, tuition fees, how good their program is for the course I wanted...the distance from my house to school was last consideration.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Well, I'm going to a local community college. I can still live in my parent's house, plus they gave a scholarship which essentially lets us go for free... (we just have to pay for the books, which we didn't in the first semester... not most of us anyways. I had to pay a little.)

Im not familiar with the college process in the US, I assume the process of elimination must be the same.

Cost should also be taken into account but try not to make it a deciding factor. If you have to get a job to help support yourself whilst in college will it really benefit you being at a more expensive college.
more or less- yes- it's by the process of elimination.

And I'm trying not to worry about the costs- but of course I am. And I already have a job- and I'm planning on having a full time job while balancing full time school - Because my parents aren't going to pay me a single cent for college. Hence why I'm not going to Cali.

Well, I'm going to a local community college. I can still live in my parent's house, plus they gave a scholarship which essentially lets us go for free... (we just have to pay for the books, which we didn't in the first semester... not most of us anyways. I had to pay a little.)
My original plan is to go to a community college bout 45 min south of me, but classes are offered in a couple towns 10-20 min from me- So I could live with my parents house, where I only have to pay 200 for rent per month, (plus other things- such as gas/insurance) And it'd save me gas money driving down there every day/time I have class.

But for other reasons that will go unsaid, i just...Don't want to stay here any longer.

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
Cost was a big factor for me. I went to an out of state college my freshman year that had the program I wanted, but come sophmore year, my parents didn't have enough money for it, and neither did I, so I went to a community college and worked full time.