College Basketball

G

GW in Ohio

Hey, the best basketball is played in the NCAA, not the NBA.

Talk about college hoops here.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't say the best Basketball brand, but I do love watching College Hoops. The passion the students bring on the court every night they step on the floor is incredible. They put their heart on their sleeve every game they play, because they want to make the NBA so bad. Plus how the crowd get into it makes the game so much better. And I can't leave out March Madness, one of the best playoffs in sports history. Everytime it rolls around I get addicted, because of the do or die mentality is so exciting to watch. You never know what's going to happen, especially in the later rounfd. It's especially amazing to see cinderella stories come out of no where.

PS: I make this a Sticky thread so we don't lose it

G

GW in Ohio

Michael: College hoopsters don't go all out because they want to make the NBA. Sure, playing in the NBA is a goal for many of them, but in college their individual aspirations are sublimated to the needs of their team.

The thing that makes college basketball superior to the pro game is the team aspect. College coaches mold their players into a unit, where the success of the team is more important than the success of the individual. The pro game is much more an ego thing. There's a lot more strutting, and posturing, and selfishness, and one-on-one stuff in the NBA.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A lot of College stars main goal is to make the NBA, that's why they come out after their first year of College or before the rule was made straight out of high school. I do agree with your comment that college ball is more of a team game. But what you seem not to understand there's a lot of NCAA teams that rely on their superstar player to bring them to the big dance. It doesn't show a lot because there's a lot of teams with more then one player who'll make it to the NBA. For example the Duke's, Tar Heels, Uconn's, Syracuse programs.

I also agree that NBA players have ego's and they want to get their own, but there's more then a few teams out there like Detroit Pistons, Toronto Raptors and Phoenix Suns just to name a few teams who play team ball and have success in the NBA.

G

GW in Ohio

Yeah, I'll give you that. For some college players, school is just a place to stop off for a cup of coffee before jumping to the NBA,

That's why the women's NCAA is superior to the men's. The good women players all stay in school for four years, so they develop their talents to the fullest on the college level, not in the pros.

And yeah, just about all the top college teams have a go-to guy, the guy they look to to take the clutch shot when it comes down to crunch time.

My favorite player in the NCAA div. 1 basketball is Josh McRoberts . I've seen many games of the Blue Devils and this guy can really play ball. He's athletic and has a high basketball IQ. Maybe I should upload some clips of him.

Another player that I also like is Tyler Hansbrough. Another PF. He's undersized but he's gotta be one of the strongest players I've ever seen in todays college basketball. It doesn't matter if you foul or slap him on his arms. He's still gonna try to lay it up.

Back on to the subject:
I agree that players should play till they graduate. A lot of NBA youngsters lack fundamentals or aren't physically ready for the NBA. But the thing is that NBA teams look at potential. They mostly see potential in freshmen and sophomores. The GMs don't see a lot of potential in seniors. For example. James White was probably a first round pick after highschool based on his athleticism. After 5 years in college he still couldn't handle the ball as a guard nor did he add some muscles to his tiny frame thus his stocks dropped.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it was a great move by David Stern to put a rule on the age restriction on the NBA. I think that 18 year olds are not ready for a man's league. And now we have the chance to see the potential on these young players. and what they'll bring in the NBA for the future. Like for example: What Kevin Durant is doing for Texas right now is simply amazing and there's no way he'd be able to produce like that coming out of the high school. He even said that he's happy the rule was made because of the things he's learning in college to prepare him for the NBA.

S

SamtheBravesFan

I think it was a great move by David Stern to put a rule on the age restriction on the NBA. I think that 18 year olds are not ready for a man's league. And now we have the chance to see the potential on these young players. and what they'll bring in the NBA for the future. Like for example: What Kevin Durant is doing for Texas right now is simply amazing and there's no way he'd be able to produce like that coming out of the high school. He even said that he's happy the rule was made because of the things he's learning in college to prepare him for the NBA.
It kind of makes me angry, because I'm certain that Thaddeus Young and Javaris Crittenton will bolt after this season, no matter how they do. Which, of course, leaves Georgia Tech screwed, as usual.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I understand why you guys would be mad, but in my opinion you shouldn't because it was expected for them to stay only one season, because they're only playing college this year, because it's a new rule now that you cannot get drafted out of high school. A lot of first year players are only playing college ball because of the rule. So fans of college teams, don't get to attact to these big time players because they're most likely to stay one year.

But that's whats good about big time schools like UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech ect. There's always a new recruiting class next season, so you have a chance to get better players for one year.

T

Tracy McGrady

That boy Durant in texas is amazing. His talent level for a freshman is very high. Also people dont really mention it that much, but Scottie Reynolds of Villanova is tearin it up.