College Basketball vs NBA

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I didn't want to go off topic in the 35 second clock thread so I decided to start a new thread.

Swift mentioned in the thread that he couldn't understand why people think the NBA is actual basketball. I want to start a debate between the two.

Which one do you enjoy more and why?

What do you like most about your selection?

Do you watch both or just one, if one which one would that be?

Let's debate a possible great topic.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

This is no secret to anyone who knows me, I prefer college basketball over the NBA by far. I will start by addressing the biggest reason why a lot of people are NBA fans:

"The players are better."

To me this is one of the reasons I do NOT like the NBA. Not because I don't like watching the best of the best, but because I think basketball is a flawed sport in that there is no balance between offense and defense. The better the players, the bigger imbalance there is favoring offense. This leads to boring, simplified offenses, usually with star players doing whatever they want. There is too much one on one play simply because the players are so good that they are impossible to defend. In college there is much more passing and more movement away from the ball. I think that makes it more entertaining to watch. Plus there is more hustle and intensity. They play tight defense and dive after loose balls, which you rarely see in the NBA. Most NBA players are too lazy to even put a hand up to defend a jump shooter.

I also think the NBA season is too long and there are too many playoff teams and too many playoff games. Over half the league makes the playoffs and there's always a couple teams that are below .500 and don't deserve to be there. The college season is more exciting. Winning the regular season conference title, the conference tournament, making the NCAA Tournament, they're all important. And I think the single elimination NCAA Tournament is one of the most exciting sporting events in all of sports. The unpredictable nature of it, all the upsets, close games, etc.

The atmosphere at college games is way better than NBA games. Most NBA games are dead silent until the end of the game. The stadiums try to fix this by playing music DURING THE GAME. It is the only sports league I've ever seen that allows music to be played during the game.

NBA players are way overpaid and many of them are classless thugs.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not a fan of Basketball what so ever. However the only time I've ever been able to sit through a game on TV or in Real Life has been for College Games. I've been to 1 Fresno State Basketball Game (they sucked) and I've sat through a few other Fresno state games on TV or at Sports Bars.

Theres just something about the NBA that sickens me. But then again at some points I start feeling the same about the NFL to, just feels to me that the guys in the NCAA brackets tend to really play the game more than the pro's do. Obviousuly that can be interpreted however you want...but I just think that they do have a deeper more pure enjoyment of the game at that level before the money has corrupted them to much.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I can't stand college sports in general. Professional is more fun to watch because you can get to know the players on your team and follow them year after year.

As for the players in the NBA being better than the players in college, well of course they are and that's why I like the NBA better. It's more intense to watch.

If you like watching people play just for the love of the game then you could always go watch a YMCA league or something by the same argument in favor of college teams. People say that NBA players don't have their heart in it and are only doing it for the money but I don't buy that. It takes a ton of effort and dedication to become good enough to play in the NBA. You can't get to that level of skill unless your heart is in it. It's the college players that generally end up sitting at desk jobs after their senior year.

5. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

It does suck how players leave your team all the time in college but I hate the NBA's game in comparison to the NCAA. Nobody plays defense in the NBA...people just throw up shots and they always go in. Slam dunks all over the place. Its just not fun to watch anymore.

6. Mirage

Well, one of the reasons you don't see as much dunking in college is because the players aren't as strong as NBA players. Sure the taller players can get up there but there's less pressure to be able to dunk so shorter players don't focus on working out their legs as much. That would be my theory at least.

And as for the NBA not playing defense, surely that's true with some college teams too. I've seen NBA games with very low scores on both sides and a ton of good defense. I don't think it's fair to say the NBA as a whole doesn't play defense.

7. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

I think its impossible to say nobody plays defense in the NBA but the majority of them do not.

Comes down to personal preference. I haven't been able to stomach watching more then 10 minutes of an NBA game in a long while.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

That's one of the things I actually like about college. Fresh faces coming in every year. The good players who stay in school for 3 or 4 years seem like they're there forever. When they're playing for other teams you're definitely ready to see them move onto the NBA. :lol:

Uh, not really. The skill difference between a YMCA league, or even high school ball, and college is a lot bigger than the gap from college to pro. D-1 college players can all play. They were all superstars in high school. They are coached by some of the best basketball coaches in the world and have a lot more organization in their plays. A YMCA league is like a pickup game by comparison. There is no crowd at YMCA games. There are no future pros. College is full of players who will end up going pro.

This isn't true for all players, but a lot of them their heart is it in simply for the money, not the game. They want money, fame, women, parties, fast cars, etc.
    ------
    Almost every college player can dunk without a problem. It has nothing to do with strength. The defense is a lot tighter.

As someone who has watched a ton of both college and NBA, there really is no comparison in defensive intensity. Most of the NBA defenders I see don't even jump or put a hand up to contest a jump shot. All the defending is just one on one with the ball handler. The other players are just standing around. There is so much more movement in the college game by both offensive players moving without the ball, and defensive players covering their man or rotating in a zone.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  9. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

It comes down to one thing. Most NBA fans are very knowledgeable about "their teams", opposing teams, the players, the fundamentals , the trade rumors etc... the nba is more of a lifestyle. College fans on the other hand are generally casual " basketball" fans and tend to be clueless about the game...not all of them so dont get offended Echoes. I do watch both college and NBA , but college has become an eye sore too me.Watching teams scramble for careless turnovers,annoying fans that cluelessly scream and the all around amateurism of the game is too hard too watch. Sure there are a couple of good players on each team that can actually hit a 15 foot jump shot or a team but for the most part 80% of college players basketball careers will end at the school.

On another note NBA does play team basketball. If one sided college fans could check out the assist numbers any given nba team puts up in a night, you would be shocked, along with the point distribution. People forget that SOME NBA teams have superstars , the superstars are supposed to take over games when the team is in trouble , that is what makes them a superstar. Sadly for college, college rarely has a player that has the ability to take over and put them team on their back. Watching Lebron, Kobe, Melo, Wade take over is something that is amazing.

10. Mirage

I guess if you like the constantly changing atmosphere of college then there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise. I actually haven't watched many college basketball games because it's never really interested me much. I'll watch some of March Madness this year to get an idea of how they go down. I've watched a ton of NBA games so I think after watching a few intense college matchups I'll be able to come to a fair conclusion regarding which style I prefer.