• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Collective Salvation - Political Discussion

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This is an old topic, but I never really looked into it. I heard it this morning for the first time in a long time and its very confusing.

YouTube - Obama's Bizarre "Salvation" Comment
Quote from the video:
“… working on issues of crime and education and employment and seeing that in some ways certain portions of the African American community are doing as bad if not worse, and recognizing that my fate remain tied up with their fates, that my individual salvation is not going to come about without a collective salvation for the country. Unfortunately, I think that recognition requires that we make sacrifices and this country has not always been willing to make the sacrifices that are necessary to bring about a new day and a new age."

There is another quote from a graduation ceremony

“Because our individual salvation depends on collective salvation. Because thinking only about yourself, fulfilling your immediate wants and needs, betrays a poverty of ambition. Because it’s only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential and discover the role you’ll play in writing the next great chapter in America’s story …”
Someone has to help me with this. If I'm reading this right, this is scary philosophy. As a Christian, I believe that I am the only person responsible for my salvation. Ultimately, everyone has free will and there is nothing I can do for anyone, including my family to earn salvation for them. That's mainstream Christianity. But the quotes above say that Obama thinks he can earn his salvation by forcing others into salvation. Am I reading this right? Particularly atheist types should be worried about this. Is Obama going to drag you to God and force you to accept him?

There's a lot of information about this that I'm just diving into. As I said, its confusing and would appreciate anyone's knowledge on it.

Last edited:

Hiei

The Hierophant
I don't really know anything about collective salvation at all, but it sounds like to me that he's not really looking to get the whole country to be saved so much as the African American community saved.

I don't believe in collective salvation anyway. He can try to pray to get everyone into heaven, but the Christian god wouldn't allow that. You need to make your own personal sacrifices and own up to your own wrong doing in order for that to happen.

Because it’s only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential and discover the role you’ll play in writing the next great chapter in America’s story …”
That sounds like a military line right there, though. Who knows? Maybe he's going to enforce the draft so he can force religion on everyone? I'm probably wrong, though.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
He is not making a religious reference just making a general statement. Salvation can just mean saving.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
He is not making a religious reference just making a general statement. Salvation can just mean saving.
That's pretty much how I took it too. I took it as meaning saving the _____ community from the problems it faces, whether that be the black community or the nation as a whole. I didn't take it to mean our soul's salvation after death.

PS-Good to see you, man.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
That sounds like a good call. I've never heard the word used outside of theology, but that makes sense.
I really haven't either, and if I was listening to him say it, it would probably make me say huh? at first. But it doesn't sound like he means spiritual salvation, to me.

Reactions: Sim