Collective Dreaming (i.e. Inception)

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Mirage, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you think one day we will have the technology to engage in "collective dreaming" like the characters in "Inception" do? For those unfamiliar with the movie, the idea basically allows people to connect to a common machine, which somehow allows their subconscious to share the same dream world, in which all dreamers connected can then interact with each other.

Do you think such technology is possible? Also, would you be willing to try it if it was possible, knowing that your subconscious mind could theoretically give away your private thoughts to others connected to the dream?

One thing is for sure, it would be infinitely better than any multi-player video game.

2. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I have a paranoid conspiracy that Hollywood knows what's going on behind the curtain and that they're trying to tell us what's happening through the movies. It might be a little exaggerated, but it's still there if you look for it. So, I wouldn't be completely surprised to hear that they already have this technology on some scale, somewhere.

Paranoia aside, I'm really not sure if I'd want to connect to that machine, simply because of my subconscious mind. I'd be dreaming about murdering villages of people and wind up being thrown in a padded cell with a "hug me" jacket for the next few decades. But, you're right. That'd be a hell of a lot better than any video game that they have out right now.

Easily-Amused likes this.
  3. stevenfermi

stevenfermi Registered Member

It's... possible? In my interpretation, it is, but we don't know for sure. I mean, we can read brain waves to an extent, so in the future, I guess it'll be possible to have collective dreams.

4. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

We're nowhere near close to altering our brainwaves nor do we have any understanding of dreams except that it occurs in the REM state. It would be cool, but imagine someone plugging into your mind while you're sleeping.

5. Easily-Amused

Easily-Amused http://easily-amused.com/

I don't know if it is possible, but I don't really want it to be. I don't want anyone else in my subconscious! That's mine. It kind of reminds me of a book I read once called The Last Book In The Universe (if you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. it's written at about a middle school/ jr high level, but it's still very good) in which people go on drips of dream inducers.

oh, but that also reminds me: Dreams may no longer be secret with Japan computer screen

6. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

Dunno but...

I found out I had the same dream my sister did one night and didn't even need a machine. It was quite interesting when we figured out we had a dream about the same thing.

7. fractal

The media exaggerates things like this. The computer identifies brainwaves and controls motion. But to think that it could read any brainwave and determine what a person is thinking is a huge exaggeration. A monitor wouldn't be sufficient.

What you dream about depends on your mental state. It wouldn't be surprising if you both were in the same mental state.

8. Easily-Amused

True. But the idea that your brain could be hooked up to something and at least partially control that something is interesting.

9. fractal

It's interesting when you're controlling a mechanical device. When people are in the same dream, whose brain are they in? Who is the controller?

10. Easily-Amused

I think it would be the person who is dreaming it.

A good way to think about it is like a video game. Lets say there are three players: P1, P2, and P3.
    First P1 would have to fall asleep attached to the monitor for a "game" to be there for the others to join.
    Then, P2 and P3 would attach themselves and join the "game," but unlike a video game, they would interact, but be unable to create new things for the game-dream. That would be up to P1.

That's how I imagine it, anyways. Assuming technology could get there. I don't really know how it would work, though.