Collecting Pennies??

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by StroShow, Apr 28, 2010.

1. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

I was wondering if anyone else here collected Pennies?? It doesn't have to be a rare type of penny, just a penny in general and see how much you can amass throughout your lifetime.

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I don't collect pennies for sheer numbers of pennies.

I do collect them for the dates however.

I have organized coin folders dating from 1909 to 2015, spanned over 3 different folders.

I have most of the pennies after 1939 (D, S, and No Mint Mark [P]), there are a few that are just really hard to get.

3. StroShow

I started collecting pennies for five years now but not have went through them to see if I have any rare ones...I actually have collected quite a few over the years so I'm sure I have a few that might be worth something, but I haven't taken the time to look through them yet. But the amount of pennies I've collected over the years is nothing compared to the amount my dad as. No word of lie if my dad combined all his pennies he could easily fill one of these up...maybe even 1 3/4.

[​IMG]

4. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I only keep the pennies that literally say one cent on the back due to some of them are worth something if they are actually minted with copper instead of the steel they were supposed to.

Other than that I collect $2 bills and $1 coins because some of those are also minted improperly.

5. dDave

wow bosh that's a lot of pennies.

I probably have somewhere around 6,000 pennies maybe more.

I searched through all of them and then never really touched them again! :lol: I studied up on all of the stuff so I'd know which ones were worth taking out and I took them out. I was probably 7 when I started collecting coins, I started with pennies, and went from there to nickels, dimes, quarters, rare coins, dollar coins.

I have an 1879 Moran Silver Dollar in really nice condition.

6. StroShow

Yea my dad is going to be 53 years old in July and I think he started collecting pennies since he was 10. He's never gone through them and I'm not even sure if he ever will, because that's definitely a crap load to look at. Every year my Nan gives me a special coin from the Royal Canadian Mint...so I'm sure I have coins that are worth something or will be worth something in a few years time.

7. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I bet the ones from the future will be worth a pretty penny! :lol:

I used to collect coins when I was younger. All sorts of coins from different countries. I think I still have them somewhere. It's not a lot, but they might be worth something one day.

8. StroShow

Yea I was meaning to ask about that DDave. How do you have a coin from 2015?? Do they make coins in advance? Is it a special order or some sort...or did you just randomly got your hands on it?

9. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I collect pennies in a tin and take them to the bank when it gets full.

10. dDave

Wow, right it didn't exactly cross my mind that you're collecting Canadian coins. Collecting for me has always been strictly American money because the history was really what initially interested me.

You might want to locate those, the longer you wait the harder it will be to find them. My mom lost all of her stuff since it's been so long since she's worked with them. I found my dads stuff justs last year, they had been sitting for a long time, I just stumbled onto them in the garage one day.

No! :lol: I said that the folders are dated until 2015, of course the coins didn't come out early, the newest I have right now are 2010 pennies, they're very shiny. In 5 years though I'll be able to fill it out.