• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Colin Kaepernick to be face of new Nike ad campaign

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't know, alienating many of your fan base wasn't a very good idea by Dick's Sporting Goods. People over 40 buy shirts and shoes too. Hell, I just ordered over $150 from Under Armour this morning. New gym shoes, two dry fit shirts, a pair of dry fit shorts and some black socks, all for the gym. Because some of the stuff I use is getting a little worn out.

In the free market, Nike can hire whomever they please as the face of their ad campaign. More power to them. And I am free to buy Under Armour and shop at Academy. Let's see how this works out for them.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.

Impaired

Registered Member
I saw a good meme for all those burning their Nike products could instead donate them to homeless veterans they claim to support.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
People who boycotted this will forget about it in 3 days
Maybe. That has happened, although it didn't happen to Dick's Sporting Goods. Their sales are still plummeting.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'll say this, I prefer Under Armour anyway. They give discounts to veterans and active duty, and to first responders, so I support them. I have bought Nike also. Will I ever again? Probably not. Whoever is head of their marketing right now must have sustained a brain injury recently. It's not a good idea to alienate people, and hiring one of the most controversial figures right now is a good way to alienate people.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Maybe. That has happened, although it didn't happen to Dick's Sporting Goods. Their sales are still plummeting.
And Target after they made a simple statement about bathroom use on a blog. It's hard to guess what will stick but 2 things: Nike is generally well respected and apolitical company, and people have a lot of anger over the whole kneeling thing.
It's very possible that the outcry from this will far exceeded expectations. I am surprised at some of the people in my Facebook feed that are protesting this. It doesn't matter that they are over 40. Parents buy the shoes. Piss a parent of and the 10 year old ain't getting Nikes.
Personally I don't care. Will still buy Nikes for my kids.
Might be fun to watch what happens though.