Coin Collecting.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Well I figured that it's far time to make this thread.

Probably nobody here knows that I'm a huge coin collector, I have quite a large collection I am not going to go through and list everything that I have. I have been collecting for about 4 years now so my collection has grown to about 200-250 coins some of which are very valuable.

I'll post more if I actually get any replies here, maybe even share a few coins with everyone maybe eventually the whole collection.

anybody else here collect coins?

Last edited:

Eilt_Druin

Registered Member
I have a small collection, mainly a few old US coins, half dollars, and the like. My father, he has quite a big collection, but hardly ever takes it out to see it.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I had a nice collection at one point. I had a crap load of mercury dimes, silver quarters, liberty dollars, wheaties, all the proof and mint sets back to like 1976. I had a bucket of world coins, rolls of state quarters, dollar coins, I had a 1914 D wheatie that my Grandpa gave me. That was probably the most expensive in my collection. But I was really tight on cash for a few months so I had to sell it all. I got about a grand for everything.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Ah the 1914 D wheat, that one is like the second most expensive Lincoln cent ever right after the 1909-S, I don't have many pennies that are older than the 1919-S penny, although I do have a 1917 and a 1911 both philadelphia minted pennies I'm not sure how much they are worth.

probably my most valuable coin is an 1879 Philadelphia minted morgan dollar it's woth about $50 and it's in great condition, you can tell on morgan dollars how the condition is by looking at the texture of the feathers on the eagle on the back of the coin, and the feathers are in great shape.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I've been re-collecting the state quarters and have kept up on the presidential dollars. I've bought 2 rolls of each to give to my kids when they get a little older.

_estrella

Registered Member
great! i used to collect coins. i have a rather great collection of them -the oldest ones in my collection date back to 1754 year. i love my collection)

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Hi ya.

I have a collection of money from all the places I have been to.
(So not much value in those)

I also have a few Confederate bills and a few different denominations of Reich Marks (the ones with Hitlers face on them) and a few SS coins too.
Got them from my grandfather.

I have them sitting in the safe deposit box right next to my Batman #1 and other high dollar stuff.

I'm trying to get my oldest into coin collecting..

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
the way to get somebody into coin collecting is to get them coin folders, (I mean actual coin collections that you have to fill in the coins by adding them in yourself) and they're pretty cheap I mean like $3 per folder.

here are the folders that I would suggest buying, there ar emultiple companies that make them.

Lincoln cent 1941-1974
Lincoln cent memorial 1959-1998 (much easier to finish than the 1941-1974 but less rewarding)
Jefferson Nickel 1962-1995 (this one feels great to finish I know because I did it.)

I would suggest dimes but I would definitely wait and see if he gets interested first because once you get to dimes the price of the coins to fill up the collection folder get's pretty high considering that it's just a coin collection.

You can get coins a lot of different places I prefer the bank because they give you coins in rolls, probably cashing out $10 in pennies is enough to get a pretty nice looking collection though I'm not entirely sure how many wheat pennies that you will get in just $10 worth of pennies at the bank, I'm sure that you would get some.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I got him the coin books but he likes the bills more..I think cause he figures I will give him money...Yeah right it don't work that way kid.

He likes to collect money from all over the world.

Hey are the coins like the corvette and the Twin towers worth all that much? And are the real US coins or just a collectible BS title given to them.

I have a few 1805 silver dollars and a 1 oz bar of silver dated 1888 go it when I worked in a pawn shop a few years back. Been sitting on them ever since..

Anyone know what the value might be?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
No coins like the Twin Towers aren't worth all that much yet but someday...

I would definitely hold on to those silver dollars and that bar of silver, those silver dollars especially. Are you sure that they are from 1805? I'm not sure that they even had U.S. minted coins that far back, I'll have to go and check it out a bit.