• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cody Rhodes asked for his release?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I don't believe it. Not sure on the reliability of the site either, but his wife works for the company and he's been teasing his Cody return recently on social media. I just don't see him leaving the business.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Oh shit, it's real. Him on twitter:

(1/2) The past ten years have been quite the trek, but as of earlier today I have asked for my release from @WWE

(2/2) I'll speak further on the matter shortly. Thank you to all the pro-wrestling/sports entertainment fans worldwide. Thank you

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Kind of curious about where's he going from here. First thought would be TNA, but is that really a good option for any established wrestler right now? Maybe hitch his wagon to Jarrett's GFW, if that ever gets off the ground? He certainly doesn't strike me as an ROH type.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Maybe Japan, maybe he just needs a break from the business. Either way I hope he comes back and gets the main event spot he deserves. I'm shocked and bummed by this. I kept hoping there'd be a decent spot for him when he finally went back to Cody. Now we'll never get that. He started standing out to me in Orton's stable and his ability to embrace versatility in gimmicks was better than so many.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Totally agree with you @Unity on all fronts.
The guy's been going at it for 10 years now, with very little breaks. I don't remember him missing much time, if any for injuries. I know he had the facial injury a few years back, but even then he was still on TV quite a bit.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Maybe he just needs some time for himself and everything. Sometimes, it is needed. Look what it did for Chris Jericho. He went on a hiatus for a few years before coming back and reinventing himself.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
There's a few factors here, maybe his father's death made him need to take more time away from wrestling. Him and Eden may want to start a family (means she could be leaving soon as well). Or he's tired of being saddled with a stupid nowhere gimmick like Stardust when he could be so much more.

He could get into acting, I could see him maybe in ROH but likely NJPW.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Guess it's a matter of if Eden/Brandi is looking to step aside, too, as the WWE 's secondary public address voice.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The statement is out. Essentially, he was tired of being Stardust and wanted to go back to Cody, but kept getting the runaround.