Cobb vs Wagner

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This always been a great debate, both are considered the best players of all time. Some list have Wagner higher and others have Cobb higher.

So I'm deciding to start a debate about it here. In your opinion who do you believe was the better overall player between Honus Wagner and Tyrus Cobb?

Discuss.

Last edited:

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Somehow I missed this thread, oops. In the case of Cobb vs Wagner I am going to go with Ty Cobb.

Ty Cobb was the first superstar of the 20th century. He was a nasty man but a brilliant ballplayer. The kind of person you are is important but back then the times were much different then they are now.

Nobody hit better. Nobody ran the bases better. Honestly, Cobb may have been the best player ever. It's difficult to tell because he played in the dead ball era while guys like Ruth and Williams probably benefited from playing AFTER the dead-ball era had ended. I am not taking away from them obviously but truth be told. Wagner and Cobb played at the same time. Wagner's numbers pale in comparison to Cobb's.

Ty Cobb: .366 lifetime average, 117 HRs, 1937 RBI, 4189 hits, .433 OBP, 892 stolen bases.

Honus Wagner: .327 lifetime average, 101 HRs, 1732 RBI, 3415 hits, .391 OBP, 722 Stolen bases.

Obviously Wagner is superior to Cobb in defense...there is no argument there from me.

Cobb's lifetime average is the best of all time. He was the all-time leader in runs scored for more than 70 years, and in hits for nearly 60 years. In 1936, Cobb became the first man inducted into the Hall of Fame, earning 222 out of a possible 226 votes, more than Babe Ruth, Nap Lajoie, Walter Johnson, or Honus Wagner. He won the triple crown in 1909.

Ty Cobb is one of the greatest players in the history of baseball. I would put him behind Babe Ruth and Ted Williams and nobody else.

Wade8813

Registered Member
In drafts, I'd probably take Wagner higher, but that's because Cobb has more competition at his position. But it doesn't seem fair to penalize Cobb just because he played the same position as Mays, Mantle, and Speaker.

Hard to say.