Coaching change in Edmonton

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Beef, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Beef

Beef Registered Member

Pat Quinn has stepped down as head coach of the Edmonton Oilers and is taking an advisory role with the team.

Tom Renney who was an associate coach under Quinn last year will take over as HC.

I'm a little surprised, but almost thankful. Was never a fan of Quinn's, Renney should help bring some structure back to their game.

Just another piece to the Oilers overhaul this off-season.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

This a surprising move, I know Quinn/Oilers had a bad season but I'm sure that was sort of expected when he took over the head coaching position. Quinn is good with young players which is another reason why I'm surprised he left.

But with that being said, Renney is a great replacement. I always believed he was a good coach and let go by the Rangers way to early.

He'll inherite a very young team, so they'll need to be patient with him. The Oilers have a lot of good young potential players. They have a chance to be really good in a few years. It's a work in progress.

3. Beef

Beef Registered Member

You say yet another coaching change, but before last year when they went to the Quinn/Renney tandem, they had Craig MacTavish in place for eight years. Amd really this is just kicking Quinn up stairs, they're just handing the reigns over to Renney.

They should be better this year, but probably still a lottery team.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Don't mind that guy, he was just a troll.

I personally believe that the Oilers planned this move ever since they signed Quinn. They just wanted one year of him being the bench boss then promote him and give the keys to Renney to take care of.

One thing that I realised from reading your replies here in the Hockey section is that it seems like you don't have much confidence in the Oilers next season. Why is that? I know they have a lot of question marks like you've pointed out before, but you don't believe this team can come together and make a run for seventh or eight spot in the playoffs?