• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Coaches Corner!

Crypticshock

Registered Member
It sounds like Coaches Corner is about to get an extension, 2 years rumoured, and Don Cherry will have a new friend (apparently).

George Stroumboulopoulos is the name I just read. In fact, George will, possibly, be replacing Ron MacLean for the entire broadcast not just CC!

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I would LOVE Strombo on Hockey Night In Canada. I love watching his show online and I think he would add a great modern flare to the broadcast.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
A lot of fans on twitter aren't happy with this decision. Ron MacLean and Don Cherry do have chemistry and I don't blame the hate towards it, but I do believe Strombo would be a suitable replacement for Ron. Any word what Ron will be doing? Quite surprised Elliot Friedman wasn't given the bigger role.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Dickey's Flow said:
A lot of fans on twitter aren't happy with this decision. Ron MacLean and Don Cherry do have chemistry and I don't blame the hate towards it, but I do believe Strombo would be a suitable replacement for Ron. Any word what Ron will be doing? Quite surprised Elliot Friedman wasn't given the bigger role.
I agree with this part. Obviously, it's going to be almost impossible to replicate the chemistry that MacLean and Cherry have but I think that Strombo and Cherry could have a certain chemistry of their own to make the segments entertaining. I'm really eager to see this.

Sabby

BJBirdy said:
Dickey's Flow said:
I agree with this part. Obviously, it's going to be almost impossible to replicate the chemistry that MacLean and Cherry have but I think that Strombo and Cherry could have a certain chemistry of their own to make the segments entertaining. I'm really eager to see this.
Agreed, would love to know why MacLean is getting replaced, is he retiring?

willge87

Registered Member
Sabby said:
BJBirdy said:
Dickey's Flow said:
Agreed, would love to know why MacLean is getting replaced, is he retiring?
'Cause Rogers thinks it knows best :roll:

Remember the reaction in 2002 when MacLean's contract wasn't renewed?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
“@CBCAlerts: "George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight" will end after this season. Program aired on CBC for 10 years. #strombo”

Looks like the rumours might be true.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Strombo knows his hockey, but this move makes no sense to me. Like it was mentioned, McClean and Cherry have great chemistry together and I'm not sure it will be the same with Strombo.

I wonder where McClean will end up going, if anywhere.

This is all shocking to say the least.