• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

CO2 levels surpass 400 ppm globally

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Another month, another carbon dioxide record. This time the record extends beyond the rocky slopes of Mauna Loa, Hawaii, home to the most storied carbon dioxide record, and includes 39 other sites around the globe to paint a troubling picture of a greenhouse gas rise with no signs of slowing down.
A new milestone: Carbon dioxide levels surpass 400 parts per million globally

This level is suppose to fall when plants in the northern hemisphere start to bloom and take it out of the air. However if something doesn't change one day the plants will just be taking it down to 400ppm that is if they are still there. We are slowly killing this planet and ultimately ourselves.

Thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've all but given up hope that anything will ever be done to curb greenhouse gas emissions. Despite the fact that greenhouse gas levels continue to rise, there are still too many people out there who are in total denial that humans are doing anything to destroy the planet or affect the climate or that we're even capable of it. Until more people wake up and face the facts, things will only continue to get worse.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
The sad thing is that we have the technology to stop this. We have solar, we have wind power, we have hydro power etc. There have been studies done showing that we can actually very easily power the whole world on solar, yet we still don't. Maybe the coal and mining companies are somehow stopping this from happening, maybe the Governments are. I don't know what it is but it's stupid. We have the technology to turn roads and footpaths and driveways into solar panels yet it keeps getting pushed back.

http://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blo...d-to-supply-the-whole-world-with-solar-power/

See, to power the entire world we only need to use what is a relativity small amount of space, yet we just aren't doing it.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall "An Inconvenient Truth" pegging it at 700 ppm at the time the movie was made.

- Cham

Stego

Registered Member
I'm just about out of hope as well. The only thing greater than the momentum of climate change is the inertia of people. It seems almost as though living by real example will get you more vitriol than it will support. The best one can do is live with a frustrated but clear conscience.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have no hope of anything changing, at least not in time. The oil companies don't want change and they have powerful lobbyist to make sure it doesn't. They fund political campaigns to make sure people are in office that have their best interest at heart. Not to mention studies that keep people thinking that global warming has nothing to do with using fossil fuels.

You would think oil companies would want to get in on the ground floor of solar energy because someday I think it will be the way we heat our homes and power our cars.

I wonder what would happen if co2 levels ever hit 700ppm. Would that be enough to kill us all?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It gets worse, you wouldn't think it could. The GOP cut funding to for NASA earth science budget, you know the part that researches climate science. What does the GOP think they are doing. I really don't understand them sometimes.

They are right about one thing, they aren't scientists, not even close.

The G.O.P.’s War on Science Gets Worse

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
They're doing what the fossil fuel industry pays them to do. And conservative voters believe their nonsense. Because anyone who says otherwise must be a liberal, which means they must be lying.