• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

CNN is leaving Russia

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The new Russian Bill requires that news agencies cant have more than 20% foreign ownership so CNN broadcasts wont be available in Russia after New Years. CNN will still get to make broadcasts from Russia but outside news wont be coming in.
My other newspaper sources explained that the Bill was all about the economy but I dont think thats true. I think its just a way to prevent foreign news from entering Russia.
CNN to Stop Broadcasting in Russia - The Atlantic

There was also another Bill about internet filtering and a plan to shut down the internet if theres an international "emergency". Maybe there are legit reasons for everything thats happening to the media but it just looks too much like censorship to me.
I just think all the censorship is a huge mistake.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Yeah, it's clearly a move to try and control the media. If the government doesn't like what's on the news (even if it's true) then it can't be broadcasted there. The easiest way for them to achieve this is to have all locally owned firms so they can exercise their control. Come on, it's Russia, we know exactly what's going on.

They're very corrupt politically (even moreso than America). Controlling the information that people get is a powerful tool.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It also sends a message of a lack of faith in the Russian people. I mean President Putin has been in office for how many years? And CNN bringing news to Russia hasnt damaged his rep with Russians.
Imo Russian is intelligent enough to see all the news and make decisions and I dont wanna see Russia get as messed up with the media as North Korea. People cant learn anything if they cant see all the news and if people cant learn then they cant get progressive.
Imo Russia cant improve if it cant see every side of whats happening in the world.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
They are kicking out CNN but starting to a new foreign news service to challenge the propaganda. Sounds like they are afraid the Russian people might find out something different than what they are feeding them.

Sputnik: Russia launches another foreign news service to fight West’s ‘propaganda’
Lenin, the party, the Komsomol.
There was an article yesterday in Komsomolskaya Pravda about the new project. And RIA Novosti is already re-directing to Sputnik. This could be the end of freedom of the press in Russia.
Все с ног на голову.

Last edited:

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Russia is slowly transforming into the next North Korea. Putin is making moves to control the media because he plans to step up his activity in Ukraine and/or make waves somewhere else and wants control over how those actions are fed back to Russia through the media. This move, to me, suggests he's up to no good (again).

- Cham

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Russia is slowly transforming into the next North Korea. Putin is making moves to control the media because he plans to step up his activity in Ukraine and/or make waves somewhere else and wants control over how those actions are fed back to Russia through the media.
Yeah but this North Koreas the largest country on the planet, has achieved nuclear parity with the US, has the 2nd most powerful army on Earth, has the S-500 anti-missile system, and has Iskander missiles too.
Koreas army could seriously threaten goldfish but Russia? That could get scary fast.

I mean Vladimir Zhirinovsky wanted to ban McDonalds in Russia and feed Obama to the sharks... and he is the founder of the Liberal Democratic Party in Russia. Anyone wanna guess what the РКСМ is saying?

This move, to me, suggests he's up to no good (again).

- Cham

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Yeah but this North Koreas the largest country on the planet, has achieved nuclear parity with the US, has the 2nd most powerful army on Earth, has the S-500 anti-missile system, and has Iskander missiles too.
Koreas army could seriously threaten goldfish but Russia? That could get scary fast.

I mean Vladimir Zhirinovsky wanted to ban McDonalds in Russia and feed Obama to the sharks... and he is the founder of the Liberal Democratic Party in Russia. Anyone wanna guess what the РКСМ is saying?

I was under the impression that Russia's military and weapons stockpile was greatly diminished during the fall of the USSR. Not that I've been keeping track.

- Cham

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I was under the impression that Russia's military and weapons stockpile was greatly diminished during the fall of the USSR. Not that I've been keeping track.

- Cham
Yeah I discussed that with one of my friends in Omsk and a girl that lives in Yekaterinburg. And a dude that lives in Orel. (all in Russia) The one in Omsk is older and he lived in the old USSR and he said a lot of the military stuff was dismantled before Putin became President but it went all ballistic (pun pun) after that.
Military spending increased dramatically and the new modernization and expansion projects have been way over the top. Shoygu found new sources for sensitive military equipment and parts and he told a Komsomolskaya Pravda journalist yesterday that even if the sanctions get lifted that he wont be returning to the other sources in the west.

They also announced a new series of military drones (tanks and tunneling drones) that are seriously hi-tech and can be used during ground assaults. Btw the Iskander missile system alone can evade the Patriot anit-missile system to reach its target and the S-500 anti-missile system is the most advanced system on the planet and can even engage hypersonics.

Russia was seriously weakened by the fall of the USSR but the difference now is night and day.
The 10 Most powerful armies
5 Serious Russian weapons including Iskander
The S-300 anti-missile system

The last article is incomplete since the latest system is the S-500 anti-missile system.
Tbh Russia is playing hardball with some serious new offensive and defensive weapons... and they arent even finished yet.

I think I posted this somewhere. Dont remember. This is the 2014 Victory Day parade on Red Square and it shows a lot of Russias military gear. The 2nd one includes the Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0R2mpnHQRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo6zdTc-4BQ

Last edited: