• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

CM Punk the announcer

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is hilarious...Wow! I didn't really enjoy him all that much on Raw last week, but he was brilliant last night. He screwed up on a few occasions, but for the most he was hilarious, and the things he said were things we haven't heard in a while. CM Punk is so much better then Michael Cole is, maybe not at calling a match, but playing his character to a tee.

What are your thoughts?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Punk did really well with his quips last night. A lot of things that he said really were genuine and the whole part with A-Ry's promo was awesome. (no pun intended).

I also loved his diva "ratings" from last week.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Another thing I found hilarious was when he said that Mysterio steals cars, and then he said "He stole my car twice" couldn't stop laughing. Anyone else found it funny that he was wearing a I love Colt Cobana shirt? That was priceless. His facial expressions are priceless too, when he was pretending to cry when they announced Randy Orton wasn't going to be at the building tonight, just pure gold.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I dug the I love Colt shirt as well. Represent the indies, bro!

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I guess they really trust Punk since he ended the show by himself on Monday haha. I love all the inside jokes. Comparing Pat Patterson to Cody Rhodes, the digs on Riley for the DUI, etc.

I read he's been told to keep using inside jokes too. He's been tremendous so far.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree...Another funny one was when John Cena was about to give Heath Slate the AA on the announce table, Punk yells out "Hey! This isn't the Spanish announce table" I don't know about you guys, but I always believe the Spanish table will get destroyed during a Pay Per View.

I'm glad the WWE are letting him speak freely so to speak, it makes him all that much better.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I loved his Spanish announce table quip as well. The sky is the limit for him as announcer.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I loved his Spanish announce table quip as well. The sky is the limit for him as announcer.
It's actually refreshing to hear Punk and Cole go off on tangents sometimes during the matches rather than just keep repeating the name of the upcoming PPV over and over again.

That was one reason, strangely enough, why Gordon Solie ended up losing his job with WCW. He was broadcasting a match on TV, and afterward, some kid producer complained that he hadn't mentioned the PPV enough. Solie pointed out that he mentioned it prior to the match, once during the match, and once after. The kid producer wanted him to do it more frequently.

Solie's point to the kid was that if he was broadcasting the NFC championship game, he wouldn't be mentioning the Super Bowl in nearly every breath. He'd be calling the action. Not enough for the kid, who ended up phasing Solie out.

Same with watching the matches on Prime Time Wrestling around, say 85-88. Not enough PPVs at that time, but still, you'd hear Gorilla and the Brain talking about other stuff outside of the next hyped up show.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Yeah BR, it is pretty fun when they talk about other stuff like that during matches. Makes it lively.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
CM Punk is a decent announcer and adds flavor to Raw. What I like the most about him is that we don't have to hear Michael Cole as much.