Movies Cloverfield was INTENSE!

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Mirage, May 4, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Ok, there have been a few other threads here about Cloverfield but nothing recent so I decided to make a new one.

I just saw this tonight. Man is it sweet.

Did anybody else notice some of the little extras they added like:

The falling object that crashes into the sea at the very end when it cuts back to the tape from before.

Man this movie was awesome. Who else here has seen it and what did you think?

I think the thing I really liked the best about it was the way it felt like I was RIGHT THERE with them during all of this. It was really a surprising experience and was very well done.

2. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I'm glad somebody else in this world enjoyed it. From all the reviews I've seen people have just been tearing this movie to shreds calling it a Godzilla ripoff.

I personally enjoyed it even with all the distractions in the movie theater (people talking, tape recording the movie and random sounds). I felt like I was with the people in the beginning enjoying that little send off and I forgot about there being a monster the flick until it finally caused some damage. Kept me entertained and well worth the $7.50 (or 8.50).

However, with that said, I will post a couple of things I didn't like:

1) Showing of the monster. It looked lame to begin with, so keeping it's face shrouded would have been much better. Something along the lines of the old 50 horror films where you never knew what the monster looked like. It was something you had to create in your own head.

2) The three characters going back into the city to save their friend. Whaaat? Why would you do that, especially after you called and got no response AND when you finally went to the building it was abandoned and semi-destroyed. I couldn't really understand why the writer went that direction.

That sums it up.

3. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I saw it a while ago when it first came out and I really enjoyed it too. I saw the object falling and also looked on the Internet to find out more about the movie and its "secrets".

Great link which explains the falling object (contains spoilers) - The MovieBuff: Secrets of CLOVERFIELD Revealed

There's supposed to be a second film but I couldn't find anything mentioned since early last year.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  4. n3wt

n3wt Registered Member

I have only seen it once and I really should watch it again really, but I have to say I did enjoy it when I watched it. I have heard rumors that there is going to be a another and if the rumors are true I think it would be an awesome idea.

My idea for another would be...

You know the part where everyone is running over the bridge trying to get off the island, well did anyone else spot the other guy with the video camera looking right dead into the camera that shot the film? So im thinking if there is another it could be based around that guy maybe :-/

5. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

Ugh, this movie was so dumb. I was cheering for the main characters to get killed so it would be over. Seriously, there was absolutely nothing good about it whatsoever.

Matriqulated likes this.
  6. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

That's a great website. After reading that, I can clearly see why it was JJ Abrams who put this together. I thought that it was out of character for him to do a movie like that, but now I see that it really wasn't. He puts a lot of clues in everything, trying to make you think. He's really good at that.

Also, regarding someone saying that the monster was shown...I didn't see that when I watched. I saw some sketches online of what people thought that it may look like pieced from glimpses, is that what you are referring to? Forgive me if that's a dumb question, I haven't seen it in ages.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Did anybody else notice how some of the "takes" were really long? That was one of the most impressive things about this movie. They had some takes complete with action that were several minutes long.

Nothing quite as impressive as the takes in Children of Men but still impressive, especially with the hand held camera feel.

8. n3wt

n3wt Registered Member

That was very impressive I love the take in Children Of Men :nod:

9. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I saw this when it first came out and I loved it. At first the home video thing really bugged me and was hard to watch but I got used to it.

My favourite part was when that girl (I cant remember her name) got bitten in the subway tunnels and then exploded when they got to the camp set up by the military.

I also really like that it doesn't have a happy ending. When they rescue Beth, and get in the helicopter to fly off I was pretty pissed that they were going to live, but when the monster bought them down again that made the movie that much better

10. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Well I don't really remember much in detail about this film, seeing as it was a gooood long while ago - but, because I have no clue what you guys mean by 'clues' I'm going to watch it again tonight I think. I was planning on watching Max Payne but I can watch that later or tomorrow or something.

The Chaos Movie Club is born w00t! :D