Closet Christians

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by AngelsPeak, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I’ve noticed that this forum seems to be mainly comprised of those who claim to be “non-believers”. I have to wonder though, how many of those making that claim or even not commenting in the religious section at all are actually “closet-Christians”?

I wonder why it’s so hard for some believers to share what they truly feel? It seems to me that man is way too eager to please man, but in the end, where will these people be?

If you are a follower, do you keep it to yourself and follow the crowd when it comes to doing what would be considered wrong in the eyes of God, or are you able to pull yourself away and be firm in your beliefs?

RJ-Cool, Mirage and idisrsly like this.

2. Juan_Pablo

Juan_Pablo Registered Member

I'm a Christian. A Catholic to be more specific. I'm not in the closet at all. I walk around the streets with a cross around my neck, almost every room in my house has a cross nailed to the wall or a painting of Christ. I am very proud of being a Catholic. The reason why I haven't taken pat in arguments with non belivers is because it's their choice to not believe. Being a believer I find it easier for me to just sit back and relax, while the non believers try to proove God doesn't exist, I can just be happy and know he exists .

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

It's great that you're proud of your faith. I'm not just questioning the debates here, but lifestyle in general.
    When you go out to eat, do you pray before you take a bite of food? If the answer is "no", why not?
    Just wearing a cross does not show others that you are a believer, just as going to church each week does not make you a Christian. (I can sit in a lake for a month, but will never be a fish). It's our actions that speak for us as believers, not our symbols.

4. Juan_Pablo

My parents probably pray before they eat, old school. I wouldn't underrate going to church every week as much as you did. You know how many Catholics don't go to church on a regular basis? A lot. The effort of waking up early Sunday morning and attending mass is an action which speaks for itself.

5. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

If church is an effort and feels obligatory rather than something you look forward to, then I'd need to stop and question why I was going in the first place.
    I'm excited to wake up early each Sunday in order to be filled with the Word.

Praying before you eat is old school? I'm not sure when thanking God for what he provides and asking that our food nourish our bodies and brings no harm to us went out of style?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  6. Juan_Pablo

We don't live in a theocracy. Religion is not a part of the way our society works. Going to church is a difficult task for me. Why? Some Sundays I am obliged to work. Work being a priority personally, stops me from attending Church.

I should pray before I eat, I do sometimes with my parents. It is old school, I am an exception. If I told you all my friends were devout Catholics I'd be lying. I've read the bible page for page and I understand I am not a devout Christian. I've broken a few rules and missed some masses. I'm always trying to improve my lifestyle with what is right, I hope I'd be promising enough to be forgiven for that.

7. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

- There are probably many.

- It is difficult for some because not all believers have a lot of faith. If Jesus asked us to jump off a cliff with Him, how many would do it? Hopefully we would, but some might not. Even the disciples lacked faith after walking with Jesus and watching Him perform miracles.

A lack of faith isn't really a mystery. We all lack faith until God calls us to Himself.

- Through the Grace of God and the power of His Holy Spirit I can be firm in my beliefs. Without Him I can do no good.

8. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

I am of the opinion that there are a few christians here who will not willingly admit to being ashamed of their religion but at the same time refuse to stand out and make a difference.
    I am not a christian and if I were, then, this would become more and more apparent as I post and interact with others. Why would I be ashamed of my faith? After all, it is suppose to be the 'good news'.

This thread reminds me of the scripture that says:

New International Version (©1984) Luke 9:26
    "If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels".

I believe, if you are a christian, you should proudly proclaim your faith, live accordingly and cease the hypocrisy!

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm a Catholic and I believe in God, I never pray before eating my food, and I don't see the relation at all.

If you believe in God that should be enough. Why do you have to go the extra mile like praying before eating your food, or anything else of that matter.

Doc and CaptainObvious like this.
  10. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

If you're a football player, why do you practice before the season starts? if you're an artist, why do you paint at each opportunity? How can we possibly grow in our faith if all we do is "believe"?

Simply believing may seem like enough Babe, but it's really not. Can you find your place in Heaven by accepting Jesus? Yes, but it's not all that is asked of us.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.