• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Closer to cloning Mammoths?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I saw this article on CNN.com

Will mammoths be brought back to life? Blood find fuels cloning hopes - CNN.com

I am someone who is completely obsessed with cloning things from the past. I say if we have the technology to do it, we do it. Probably why I love the Jurassic Park movies so damn much haha

But yeah, Wooly Mammoths are pretty much my number one. Please make this happen in my lifetime.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't mind seeing a Wooly Mammoth but I don't think we should be bringing back these animals. I don't want to see them born just to be studied and kept in a cage. One animal would be rather lonely too.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
The way modern technology goes who is to say they couldn't make multiple mammoths?

My hope is that one day they are in Zoos...like the St Louis Zoo...so I can be in awe of it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Since they are much larger than a Elephant think of all the room that would be needed for a herd. The St. Louis Zoo is a nice zoo, been there many times, but do you really think they could make room for something that large. I wouldn't want them to be stuck in a cage or small enclosure all the time.
------
I would love to see one but whatever they end up with won't it be part elephant.

Last edited:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I definitely think the Zoo would be large enough for the Mammoths. I mean the area they have for the Elephants in St Louis is enormous.

I dunno if logistically it could work because we're talking about extinct animals because anything can happen but still, we should try.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Actually, I just heard recently that the zoo near my home is probably getting rid of their elephants soon, as are many other zoos around the country, because we're discovering that it's pretty bad for elephants (in general). So we'll send them to a preserve or whatever instead. I imagine for a mammoth, it might be even worse.

wooly

I am the woolrus
I love all this talk of bringing me mammoths back to life. However i hope that through proper managements, me mammoths won't be confined to zoos. Most likely they will be living their lives out in safari type parks. I would love to see them return to their natural habitat. I don't know if this is possible though, or if a me mammoth would even be able to survive in it's old stomping grounds in siberia and alaska what with the warmer climate and all. Also it's not like people would suddenly stop hunting them. Elephant poaching is still a huge problem so I can imagine mammoth poaching would be too. We're an awful species :-/

As for the old arguments of "we shouldn't be playing god" for people against this type of de-extinction, the way I see it I think we were basically 'playing god' when we drove mammoths and many other species to extinction, and we should do what we can do correct that if possible.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Actually, I just heard recently that the zoo near my home is probably getting rid of their elephants soon, as are many other zoos around the country, because we're discovering that it's pretty bad for elephants (in general). So we'll send them to a preserve or whatever instead. I imagine for a mammoth, it might be even worse.
Sucks for your Zoo...our Zoo just added another elephant a couple of months ago.

I love all this talk of bringing me mammoths back to life. However i hope that through proper managements, me mammoths won't be confined to zoos. Most likely they will be living their lives out in safari type parks. I would love to see them return to their natural habitat. I don't know if this is possible though, or if a me mammoth would even be able to survive in it's old stomping grounds in siberia and alaska what with the warmer climate and all. Also it's not like people would suddenly stop hunting them. Elephant poaching is still a huge problem so I can imagine mammoth poaching would be too. We're an awful species :-/

As for the old arguments of "we shouldn't be playing god" for people against this type of de-extinction, the way I see it I think we were basically 'playing god' when we drove mammoths and many other species to extinction, and we should do what we can do correct that if possible.
Okay lmao at "me mammoth." That is really funny, haha

And I agree and I think if we have the capabilities to clone them, what's the big deal? These aren't dinosaurs who are going to eat us alive. It'll just be really friggin cool.

dDave

V.I.P.
One thing that I think has to be considered here is that there are certain types of airborne (and other sorts) of bacteria that were much more prevalent in the world just a few hundred years ago and much more so several thousand years ago.

I know that when we recently opened up tombs of pharaohs and whatnot a lot of the people that were involved got very sick because the rooms were sealed so well that bacteria such as this managed to survive. Their immune systems had never been exposed to this and thus immunity was impossible.

If we made a perfect clone of a mammoth would it be able to survive in today's world? I can't help but think that there's too much different bacteria that it never had the chance to adapt to that will pose a serious threat to cloning anything from thousands of years ago.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
But if they are crossed with an elephant bacteria might not be a problem even if the remove all the elephant DNA from the egg looks like it would still get some protection from the mother.

Japanese Scientist To Clone Woolly Mammoth Within 5 Years! | Singularity Hub

I've been looking at some articles and it seems most mammoths aren't any bigger than the African elephant. I thought they were much bigger.