• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Close Calls?

Gigi

I know this must be an awful topic to bring up, but curious if anyone wants to share close call stories. Mine most vivid experience was on Bells Beach with my BF. He is out on the water, flipping around and out of the corner of my eye I see a fin. It was so surreal, my heart stopped. Before i could even call out, he saw it and I never saw him get out of the water so fast. Luckily that was it. How about you?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow.. I hate being anywhere near where sharks could be so I tend to avoid close calls with sharks. I don't live near the ocean either though so I don't exactly get the chance to have a close call very often. Not a lot of sharks in lakes. :)

tater03

Registered Member
I have been lucky I have never really had any close calls like the one you had. That and I don't live near an ocean so I don't really have to worry about sharks, thank goodness.

Gigi

Andrew, complete hotness on your avatar. :) At any rate, another boring point, Bell's Beach was where the final scene of "Point Break" (the film with Keanu Reeves) was filmed, I assume that is why the man wanted to go for a surf there. Kinda cured him of that. I don't think I will ever surf in hawaii.

ACCER

Registered Member
Sharks aren't so bad...slap them on their butts and they will swim away....Of course they come back looking for you.

Smart people vacate the water. Nothing angers a shark more than you being in his ocean!

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Hi ya.

You have just as good chance of getting bitten by a shark as you do getting hit by a car, and getting hit by the car chances are greater.

I've only seen a shark once while surfing. I would love to do the pointbreak thing. What a way to go. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

You feed the kid hohey and I will feed the fish. :-o

Go to Australia
Fuck Sharks!!! It's the saltwater crocks you got to worry about

I would say wipeing out on my longboard at over 43 mph. Good thing I wear Aromr! :D

Last edited:

Gigi

Heyya guys, true. Same fact about plane crashes, but I am still nervous upon take off. I think I have seen one too many extreme nature shows! haha

Saltwater crocs? Are there crocs in the ocean? LOL I thought they were just in rivers and streams. There is a whole new thing to worry about...;)

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
Gigi said:
Saltwater crocs? Are there crocs in the ocean? LOL I thought they were just in rivers and streams. There is a whole new thing to worry about...;)
They can live in the ocean, hence the name "saltwater crocodile". They usually don't live in the ocean all the time, but they will travel in the ocean to make a trip because they can move faster in the water than on land. And if there are islands nearby where a croc is living, it may travel from one island to another looking for food. But most do not live in or near the ocean. Most are inland near waterways and lakes.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Hi ya.

Yes I said it right. Saltwater crocs. You will see them on Bodi and pebble beaches in Australia in the spring and early fall. Those suckers are fast!

I've seen them in action. Hell they will go after sharks too!

But I've been surfing for over 20 years now and i've inly seen a shark once and a crock 3 times in one day! Needless to say I called it a day and did the tourist thing :lol:

I might be getting to go back to the North Shore soon. I wanna try out my new sprint board. :D

Gigi

I wish I could post the pics from the day I went on a wetland hike by myself, splashing around in the waterfront to cool off, and then realizing...hey, Im not in Illinois. I thought of the Croc Hunter and something flying out at me like I was a plucked chicken. Scary!

Thakns for the clarificication on the saltwater crocs....and yes, they move fast but even worse is the sound of their jaws clamping shut! LOL