• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cloning

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
Vince Carter: Why do you believe it is wrong to clone humans? You have said several times you disagree with it, but never why, except that it is pointless. You are totally against something because it is... pointless? If it is pointless, why not just let them spend their money how they want. Also, it is spelled "allowed" and not "aloud" which means something completely different.

Piccolo: Why does creating a person in a lab prohibit someone from having a soul? The process is the same as inside a human body... sperm enters egg, and grows into a human baby through the various stages of such things. The only difference is that in one case, sex is had for the sperm to meet the egg and that the fetus grows in the mothers womb, whereas in cloning, the dna is inserted into the egg directly and the fetus would be grown in a lab. Assuming you even believe in a soul, at what point is the soul put into the mixture when things are done naturally, and why would it being done manually as opposed to naturally be any different for the soul?

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

It is not something scientific Senator, it is my Faith as a Christian, because the child was not conceived through the way God intended, and it would be the exact duplicate of someone who was already alive. It would also depend on how they clone humans in the future, they may not need a sperm and an egg now would they?

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
I may not believe the same things you do, but even assuming that your religion is correct, cite me a biblical reference that says that god only intends for people to be created through sex. If being an exact genetic duplicate of someone already alive is a bad thing, are twins evil? Additionally, should current research be stopped for a future potential of something bad? If that is the case, nearly all research needs to be stopped right away, because it can nearly all be turned to negative purposes (any research towards a cure for a disease can be used to spread it to a population as a weapon, for example).

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

That is basically the reason for sex to begin with, is to ensure the survival of the species. Twins are different, for one they are the same age, etc, and I do not believe they are 100% genetically identical either.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
Careful, you're almost starting to sound a little Darwinian there with all this talk of Survival of the Fittest.. I mean Species... and evolution doesn't fit the faith too well. In any case, that still does not say anything towards where it says in the Bible (on the assumption that the Bible even is the word of god... see my post in the religion thread) that it is wrong to create people through other methods besides sex.

Identical twins are genetic duplicates of eachother, they come from a single egg and a single sperm (unlike fraternal twins which are two eggs and two sperm). Elaborate further on how the fact that twins being the same age as eachother makes it any different from cloning someone. What about cloning someone to be born at the same time as the person you're cloning?

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

Having Faith as a Christian does not mean I cant believe in Evolution now does it? I do not take the Bible as literal. The Bible is also not the literal Word of God, God would have to talk through a man in order to have it written down, which means many mistranslations, etc. I know the difference in twins, but I will have to research DNA differences between identical twins, I am to tired from last night to do so now.

About the age thing, seeing a little me growing up, like an actual literal me, would be something I would not want to see, as opposed to seeing my twin, since I know he wasnt grown in lab.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
Having faith as a christian DOES mean you cant believe in evolution, or certaintly not to the extent that Darwin's theories claim. See Genesis.

What about cloning post-mortem?
Additionally, while twins may be genetically identical, they can grow up to be two entirely different people due to the environments they are brought up in (there have been a lot of tests done, bringing up twins in two adoptive houses, and seeing the similarities and differences), and they can be very different personality-wise, and to a certain extent even physically.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

NO IT DOESNT, I do not take the Bible to be LITERAL! For all you or I know seven days to God, could be billions of years to us, so please dont even tell me that I cant believe in evolution as a Christian. MANY Christians believe in evolution, and that is how God created life, through a slow process in order to create man, these are the people who do not take everything in the Bible as literal. Please, try and tell me what I can or cant believe as a Christian again, that was just one HUGE ignorant statement.

I have seen the tests on identical twins being seperated, some have even reunited with each other, and even carried the same jobs, while on opposite sides of the coast.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
MANY christians also do not believe in evolution, and do take the Bible literally. In any case:
Genesis 1:26-28 said:
Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.†So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.â€Â
This could happen over millions of years, but it is unlikely that god used to take the form of a lower life form, and then slowly evolved into the current human form, as well as that to keep consistent with the whole "having dominion over all the other living things" part, it doesn't make much sense for man to used to have BEEN other living things. While you may not take it literally, it seems like what is pretty much a direct quote, not to mention a statement which is made multiple times, would be pretty solid in its meaning.

So now I've quoted scripture, please, do the same and show me where literally or non-literally it says that according to the beliefs of a christian, god does not like it when people make new people by methods other than fornication, and doesn't give these people a soul.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

I never said that was in the Bible, now did it? You quoting Scripture also proves nothing. Nobody knows what God looks like, for all we know he experimented with many different lifeforms until he found one that he liked the best, etc. I tend to believe Genesis is meant to tell a story, not a recount of history.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bcatz3 Science & History 10
Millz Science & History 18
sunrise Politics & Law 20
Daemonic Science & History 10
Mirage Science & History 18