• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cloning.

Bcatz3

Registered Member
How does everyone feel about it? Also, if you were a clone, how do you think you would get along with yourself? Do you think it would change your opinion of yourself?

I wouldn't want another me running around, one of me is enough.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
How does everyone feel about it?
Cloning humans is wrong, wrong, wrong. The ethics behind human cloning go far beyond simple curiosity. We have the technology to clone humans. I don't think that we should ever clone another person. A clone would be a perfect genetic copy of a human being. That concept opens up entirely new realms of discussion. What happens if a clone or the original murders someone and the only proof is DNA? How about paternity suits?

Also, if you were a clone, how do you think you would get along with yourself?
Not very well. I tend to be hard to get along with. The real issue is that a clone would not have been raise the same way that I would, therefore they would not have the same personality.

Do you think it would change your opinion of yourself?
I could imagine that it would change my opinion of myself assuming they have the same personality as me. It would change everything by seeing how I act and operate from my own perspective.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think that cloning technology in general will really help with medical science in the future.

I don't really like the idea of cloning though, it makes me uncomfortable.

I definitely disagree with human cloning.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am against cloning humans but for cloning animals and please don't ask me why I think one is okay and the other is not.

It is playing God but then again if we're smart enough to do it...should we stop ourselves?

dDave

V.I.P.
I am against cloning humans but for cloning animals and please don't ask me why I think one is okay and the other is not.

It is playing God but then again if we're smart enough to do it...should we stop ourselves?
We're smart enough to do a lot of things. Doesn't mean that we should.

As for humans vs animals. Humans have a soul, if you believe in God then you know we were created in his image. We are different from animals. We're the only ones that have free will.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.

We're not smart enough to play God and put souls in humans. This will never work with the result they would wish for.

I am completely against human cloning. Although, if organ cloning can save lives, then it's hard to be against it. Not if it's "harvested" in a body though.

dDave

V.I.P.
We're not smart enough to play God and put souls in humans. This will never work with the result they would wish for.

I am completely against human cloning. Although, if organ cloning can save lives, then it's hard to be against it. Not if it's "harvested" in a body though.
Exactly, some things only God can make.

I'm reminded of the movie The Island, it really puts it into perspective.

Organ cloning is the advancement in medical science I was referring to.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I didn't to touch on that issue in my first post. I agree with you that organ cloning would be great for the medical field because, as you noted, it could potentially save lives.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Cloning humans is wrong, wrong, wrong. The ethics behind human cloning go far beyond simple curiosity. We have the technology to clone humans. I don't think that we should ever clone another person. A clone would be a perfect genetic copy of a human being. That concept opens up entirely new realms of discussion. What happens if a clone or the original murders someone and the only proof is DNA? How about paternity suits?

Not very well. I tend to be hard to get along with. The real issue is that a clone would not have been raise the same way that I would, therefore they would not have the same personality.

I could imagine that it would change my opinion of myself assuming they have the same personality as me. It would change everything by seeing how I act and operate from my own perspective.
This. I think it's wrong and it isn't something we should do. It would just open up a huge can of worms.

I can be difficult to get along with so I'm not sure I would get a long with my clone. You bring up a good point. It wouldn't have the exact same personality, not being raised as I was.

Reactions: Doc

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
I'm all for cloning, but with laws and regulations to prevent people from abusing it. I'm a huge believer in cloning body parts for medical purposes, but not cloning entire people for getting around laws (reference various Hollywood movies here). I'm not going to bring religion into the conversation because it should be up to the individual, and the religious masses (etc) should not come out and say whether or not we should close (I think of it as being similar to gay marriage). The way I feel about it is that we play God enough in terms of extending our longevity past ages that 100-150 years ago were thought unsurpassable, and cloning is just a logical continuation of this. I hugely doubt that cloning entire humans and having copies of ourselves running around will be common anyhow (because of legal ramifications), but I can see cloning body parts being commonplace.

Last edited: