• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cloning and self awareness.....

Daemonic

Registered Member
This is something that I have thought about but kinda gives me a headache to think about. If it's possible to clone then does that mean your center of self awareness (or soul as I would call it) can be cloned as well? To be more scientific do you think by cloning after death perhaps you would truly live again or just think you do based on the copy? Do you think a clone would have no soul, or self awareness in the same sense an original would? I'm trying to keep this opened to a mix of spiritual and scientific views so that's why I'm wording things this way. If personal self awareness can be cloned, and you are alive when cloned, do you in some strange way exist in two places at once? If not, would a clone be just a basic copy that can follow a life completely different than you, is it programed to grow just like you, or is it even part of you? For those that are spiritual, does a clone have a spirit, or what I view as conscious energy in the same way you do? Is that consciousness energy an extension of your own or does it become unique to the clone and a spirit/conscious being of its own?

Also, if you say it is a separate being do you think it would be possible to clone that sense of self awareness and live again as you are now?

Blows my mind to think about it but want to hear others views.....

Last edited:

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Wow! Good question, I just got a headache reading that. But anyways I believe that if you are cloned your soul does not go with it. There is no way in my opinion. We only have one soul. Now our memories traits and character will all be in tact but our soul will either be in Hell, Heaven, or Purgatory.

I don't believe that I would feel like I would be in 2 places if I was cloned alive. Main reason is because this is a man made creation kind of like a robot...not God's creature.

I honestly don't believe that cloning is the answer to live forever. We all only have one soul.

Last edited:

Daemonic

Registered Member
Makes things kinda interesting when you look at it like that. Depending on what you consider the soul to be you have to ask what copy would be like? Also, with the religions out there and spiritual things how would a clone feel? My view on the soul is a little different than yours but I'm trying to be opened to all possibilities. So from that perspective it would be scary for a clone I would imagine if they came from a person with your view because they would probably carry a similar one. To be spiritual but believe there is nothing waiting for you.....

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
I say interesting question you brought up and General took my reply when he said "gave me a headache just reading it" ~LoL~
It's confusing, but yet....made sense in the same sorta way....anyway, my answer would be no.
If you were to clone some other person.....then I don't see how the 'personality' of the first person could be recreated into the clone.
You become the way you are because of your surroundings and the way you were raised and things you were taught.
That's why some people are bitches and assholes and some are good as gold....depends on how they were taught :)

Daemonic

Registered Member
I say interesting question you brought up and General took my reply when he said "gave me a headache just reading it" ~LoL~
It's confusing, but yet....made sense in the same sorta way....anyway, my answer would be no.
If you were to clone some other person.....then I don't see how the 'personality' of the first person could be recreated into the clone.
You become the way you are because of your surroundings and the way you were raised and things you were taught.
That's why some people are bitches and assholes and some are good as gold....depends on how they were taught :)
Assuming this view is correct, it would be interesting to see how two of the same copies can turn out differently under different circumstances... I guess it would be a nature VS nurture thing for the clone if your view is correct?

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
DNA is a set of instructions that tell cells when and how to do things; essentially a set of instructions on how to build you. True of every reasonable belief, your 'soul' is the culmination of both your DNA and the breadth of your personal experience. When you clone someone, all you're doing is using the same set of instructions a second time around; the resulting pair may be completely identical, but they are not linked in any way whatsoever. The first picosecond of existence would be entirely different between the two, immediately reshaping the entity to come. In fact, there's a stronger link between identical twins than clones, when you consider that technically identical twins were actually one single entity at some point before splitting into a separate pair in the womb.

So the short answer is no, a clone would be a completely new person, like two houses built with the same blueprints.

Daemonic

Registered Member
DNA is a set of instructions that tell cells when and how to do things; essentially a set of instructions on how to build you. True of every reasonable belief, your 'soul' is the culmination of both your DNA and the breadth of your personal experience. When you clone someone, all you're doing is using the same set of instructions a second time around; the resulting pair may be completely identical, but they are not linked in any way whatsoever. The first picosecond of existence would be entirely different between the two, immediately reshaping the entity to come. In fact, there's a stronger link between identical twins than clones, when you consider that technically identical twins were actually one single entity at some point before splitting into a separate pair in the womb.

So the short answer is no, a clone would be a completely new person, like two houses built with the same blueprints.
That's actually an interesting view and well explained....

If that is the case, then the "soul" (or conscious energy as I view it) would not be only be copied but a new soul as I define it would be created (new conscious energy). If that is the case then perhaps man can create a new soul through cloning? I'm loving these responses, very thought provoking.

Very interesting.

Last edited:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
If that is the case, then the "soul" (or conscious energy as I view it) would not be only be copied but a new soul as I define it would be created (new conscious energy). If that is the case then perhaps man can create a new soul through cloning? I'm loving these responses, very thought provoking.
More or less, yes; after conception, over a period of nine months, we go from one single microscopic cell to a full blown functioning baby. The soul, as you define it, would develop within that time period. The only thing I would reserve, really, is that cloning is more a parlor-trick of nature, rather than 'man-creating-man.' All that's been done on our part is altering the DNA of an embryo; nature still does all of the real work here.

stevenfermi

Registered Member
Judging by the complex tenets that I follow--metaphysics--any clone of absolute qualities and mental state exactly like yours would share the same soul, but since the existence of Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory is unfalsifiable, it's impossible to know the criteria a supreme being holds on new-coming members.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Judging by the complex tenets that I follow--metaphysics--any clone of absolute qualities and mental state exactly like yours would share the same soul, but since the existence of Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory is unfalsifiable, it's impossible to know the criteria a supreme being holds on new-coming members.
The clone you propose is impossible, unless you intend to create matter and energy. Real clones share nothing more than genetic information. It's like installing a program on your computer twice; the two copies may function identically, but they are not the same program. You can change all of the settings in one installation, the other will remain unaffected.