• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Clinical Trials

Impact

V.I.P.
Would you be willing to take part in paid clinical trials? Would your answer still be the same if you weren't paid for them, and it was just the idea of helping people that was a reward.

For me, at this stage, i'd probably be willing to take part in clinical trials if I was paid. Probably wouldn't be so willing if they weren't paid. It's only something i'd do for the money.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Would you be willing to take part in paid clinical trials? Would your answer still be the same if you weren't paid for them, and it was just the idea of helping people that was a reward.

For me, at this stage, i'd probably be willing to take part in clinical trials if I was paid. Probably wouldn't be so willing if they weren't paid. It's only something i'd do for the money.
No, I wouldn't do one for altruistic reasons. There would have to be a benefit.

I was in a blinded efficacy study for sinus infection medicine. At the time my infections were chronic and I wanted to get well and find out what the heck was going on. (probably too many recreational drugs). I got free medication, xrays, and check ups, and a very small stipend. The drug worked temporarily but once I stopped the infection returned. They put me on a known drug after that and I eventually got well.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I would definitely do it for money. If it was only to help people and there was no money involved, I don't know. It would depend on what all is involved.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I would do it in an instant. Mainly because I like the idea of testing conducted on humans and not animals. I believe there may have been some points in history when animal testing was required but I think in todays modern world science and society has progressed enough to stop animal testing altogether, especially on things such as cosmetics. That is still happening unfortunately so if putting myself on the line is a further step in human, over animal testing then yeah, I would do it in a heartbeat... money or not.

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
It depends on what the trials involve. I'd probably do it for money. I'm less likely to do it for free, but again, it depends. I mean, you have to consider risk, how much the trial might help you, how much it might help others, etc.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I actually almost participated in one of these a few years ago but something came up at work and I was unable to do it.

I can't remember exactly how much money was offered but it was quite significant. So yeah, depending on the pay and what was involved I'd do it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I just realised that my post above probably sounds like I would rush in and do any clinical trial at all. I WOULD do clinical trials but my health and well-being is still very important to me. I would have to research it first and decide whether it would have any adverse health effects. Usually though they are okay, something as simple as overnight observation etc.

shelgarr

Registered Member
The research and development in early stage drug discovery which is funded and encouraged will never be possible without animal testing. Toxicities exist and there's NO WAY early compounds can be tested in humans! And even before they go into animals theres a number of steps that occur before than. And remember, government is requiring all of this!! Why? Because of liability. Not necessarily safety (because Canada and Europe regulations differ), but because people scream when there is the least thing that goes wrong. As though the human body doesn't differ in it's reactions and every possible scenario should be predicted. There are so many regulations and requirements so it isn't the drug companies that want to do it. With every study however there is a investigative review board made up of scientists, community, animal advociates that first approve or disapprove of the research.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I'd do it for money if it was really well paid and I really needed the money. But then I also think that if the risks are too high, considering the cost of getting sick over it, my kids would be without me to take care of them so perhaps it's a bad idea.

Testing beauty products, they're fine. But medicine is another thing. If it can save me or help cure illness that I or my kids have, then I'll give it a try.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The research and development in early stage drug discovery which is funded and encouraged will never be possible without animal testing. Toxicities exist and there's NO WAY early compounds can be tested in humans! And even before they go into animals theres a number of steps that occur before than. And remember, government is requiring all of this!! Why? Because of liability. Not necessarily safety (because Canada and Europe regulations differ), but because people scream when there is the least thing that goes wrong. As though the human body doesn't differ in it's reactions and every possible scenario should be predicted. There are so many regulations and requirements so it isn't the drug companies that want to do it. With every study however there is a investigative review board made up of scientists, community, animal advociates that first approve or disapprove of the research.
Toxicities exist, yes, but they're not always cross-species. For example, acetaminophen is toxic to cats. Suppose there's another compound that is not toxic in animals on which it has been tested, but is toxic to humans? You've sacrificed all those animals for nothing. But I think we could make a nice long separate thread on the ethics of the pharmaceutical companies and their testing procedures.

I would not participate in a pharmaceutical clinical trial. I would do sleep studies or something like that, but nothing that involves ingesting pharmaceuticals.