Clemens charged with lying to Congress

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Obstruction of Justice, making false statement, perjury...he's in a shitstorm of trouble right now. Not having the opportunity to see all the evidence and listen to all the testimony it's hard to say whether he'll be found guilty or not but it seems like there is a lot of evidence he lied to Congress under oath.

The obstruction of justice charge probably stems from both the Mitchell investigation and his testimony before Congress, same with the making of false statements. The perjury charge stems from being under oath when he testified and there is evidence he knowingly made those false statements.

Rusty Hardin is a damn good lawyer, if this goes to trial I'd love to watch the trial.

3. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

To be honest, I'm glad he's being held accountable.

4. Babe_Ruth

So in other words CO, you believe Clemens might see some jail time because of this? Or he might just get a nice slap on the hand?

I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on this because I've always been a fan of Clemens and I am curious to know what the outcome of this is going to be.

5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

What oh what will the people who use the race card with Bonds going to say about this trial happening before anything with Bonds?

Anyways, Clemens is a shmuck and I'm happy he's being held accountable for lying under oath.

6. Babe_Ruth

I don't understand why this whole Bonds thing is taking so long. It's been two years or so now and we still haven't heard anything. Another person that like under oath is Palmeiro, he said he didn't do any steroids then a few months later it comes out that he did. Why nothing is happening to him?

7. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

The congress probably has bigger things to worry about than slapping baseball players on the wrist for lying. I seriously doubt any of these guys will ever see jail time or much more than a hefty fine and a "don't do that again."

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  8. CaptainObvious

I do think he will, probably between 6-18 months. You never know though, he may just be sentenced to his mansion and have to wear an ankle bracelet.

The ridiculous thing is he asked for the Congressional hearing, he wasn't subpoenaed. He should have just dropped it and let people just think he may have used steroids.

9. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

What amazes me is that with all the problems in the world still going on now, with all the immigration and economic debates, this is what Congress is spending its free time doing:stare:

10. CaptainObvious

Well to be fair Congress is trying to deal with all those things also. They can't stop doing everything except concentrate on one issue. And Clemens asked for the hearing because he didn't like the Mitchell report. And when they gave him the hearing he wanted, he allegedly lied to them.