• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cleary to the Flyers...uh where's Damien Brunner?

JustinD94

It still baffles me how the hell Damien Brunner is still a Free Agent after a fine rookie season in Detroit. Now we're hearing that Paul Holmgren signed an older, more expensive Daniel Cleary. I've been hearing that the front runners for Brunner are the Caps, Devils and Habs (although that was a little while ago), but do teams just not have room for him? Where should Brunner end up?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I somewhat agree with you. I'm still shocked that Brunner is unsigned, but I like this signing for the Flyers. Yes, it might be a bit too much money, but Clearly brings a lot to the table. He's a veteran, a professional, good teammate, plays hard every shift both offensively and defensively, and can still put the puck in the net.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Brunner must have some kind of attitude problem or he's asking for way too much money, because he's one hell of talent to still be unsigned. Would've love for the Haba to pick him up, but there's just no room for him on the team anymore. Maybe Nonis or Holmgren will sign him with their great cap situation ;).

As for Cleary, I'm kinda surprised he went there. You'd think he'd sign with a team that will contend for the Stanley Cup. There was actually rumours, Sidney Crosby called him personally to convince him to sign with the Penguins. Shocked he turned that oppurtunity down.

Willey101

JustinD94 said:
It still baffles me how the hell Damien Brunner is still a Free Agent after a fine rookie season in Detroit. Now we're hearing that Paul Holmgren signed an older, more expensive Daniel Cleary. I've been hearing that the front runners for Brunner are the Caps, Devils and Habs (although that was a little while ago), but do teams just not have room for him? Where should Brunner end up?
I think that in fairness Cleary is still a better player. I mean he is good at both ends of the rink and works his tail off. 3 years at $2.75 million per however makes absolutely no sense. Brunner is looking for the big payday. The $4 million per season deal on a 3-5 year contract.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
A Philadelphia Flyers tweeted this about Cleary this morning: @BroadStBull: Source: Dan Cleary is not at #Flyers camp. He was slated to be on ice with first group at 8:30 today."

And

“@BroadStBull: With Cleary not here, Laughton, McGinn and Raffl among those who could win a roster spot for #Flyers. #HailYouth”

No one really knows why he didn't report. Once again, I ain't sure but can a player still practice with their team if his deal makes them over the cap? Or was his contract voided? Interesting to see what happens

Carey4Ever

Cleary signed with Detroit. 1-year contract.