• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cleaning up Credit

bell

Greetings,
I have an average fico of about 650. I have a couple of negative reports from a credit card and school loan. Even if I pay off these debts the negative reports stay on for 7 years is that correct? If so, will paying off these debts improve my credit rating?

Thanks!!!!

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
paying off your debt is always a good idea. NOT paying it off just makes it worse and your credit just keeps going downhill. the 7 year thing is partially right. sometimes a company will remove it after you pay it off. Some don't. Even if they don't however they will show that you have payed it off.

hope that answered some of your question

Albey

Registered Member
I do know that by paying it off, alot of creditors or load sharks will over look them since they are paid off. Even the little 3 or 12 dollar ones are enough to make them say no, since its such a small amount.

mamab

Registered Member
My suggestion is that yes, you need to pay them off. But after you have done so, send a letter in writing requesting that they "Close" the account, and mark it as having been paid in full. Then, if they refuse, send a letter to reporting agencies and ask them to put a note on your files that the accounts have been closed and paid in full. That way, if anyone looks, they will see that they have been taken care of, even if they are not reported that way.

Melos

Registered Member
I completely agree with mamab on this one. By all means pay off your accounts, but make sure to get the credit reporting agencies to report that the balance has been paid and the accounts are closed.

taiarain

Registered Member
7 years is a yes and no thing.

The reality is, every month that you have those debts, your credit worthiness takes a hit. Once they are paid off, you stop taking those hits. Paying everything off today won't mean waiting 7 years for a magic, new credit score. Paying everything off today means gradual improvement in your credit worthiness beginning tomorrow.

Last edited:

Penguin

Registered Member
7 years is a yes and no thing.

The reality is, every month that you have those debts, your credit worthiness takes a hit. Once they are paid off, you stop taking those hits. Paying everything off today won't mean waiting 7 years for a magic, new credit score. Paying everything off today means gradual improvement in your credit worthiness beginning tomorrow.

But on the other hand, if you have *no* credit... your "credit-worthiness" seems to be lower than if you have a little bit of credit...

hemisync

Registered Member
In the mean time while waiting for your credit to improve, you can get a secured credit card from the bank. This will help you start to establish better credit. The more you can do while waiting, the better your credit will look as well.